MSC to host 400 organizations at semi-annual open house

Tim Lai

Crowds of students pack into the Memorial Student Center at the beginning of every semester. 

Once again, over 400 student organizations will storm the Memorial Student Center with flyers and smiles, hoping to catch the attention of potential members.

With organizations represented throughout the MSC, Rudder Plaza and Kyle Field, the semi-annual MSC Open House gives students exposure to campus organizations.

MSC communications coordinator Lyndon Pryor said the event is a way for students to learn about many of the organizations and resources that are available to them outside of the classroom.

“It’s an opportunity to meet and engage various organizations and groups that spark your interest,” Pryor said. “These may be groups related to your major or desired profession, your personal hobby, sports clubs, service, cultural or social groups.”

Although the exact date the MSC Open House began is unknown, Pryor said there is evidence of an open house taking place as early as 1953.

“We know that event started as an opportunity for students engage in activities outside of the Corps of Cadets,” Pryor said. “Over time this much needed service to student groups and the student body as a whole has only grown.”

Allied health sophomore Lindsay Brown said attending last year’s MSC Open House allowed her to see a number of the opportunities available to freshmen.

“I really enjoyed the Open House — it was the first event that made me realize how much our school has to offer,” Brown said. “I’ve already made plans to go again this year — it’s definitely not something I want to miss.”

MSC director Luke Altendorf said student involvement in organizations helps with the development of one’s intellect and social skills.

“Open House is an important event because students getting involved and staying involved will enhance their overall wellness while at Texas A&M,” Altendorf said.

MSC president and industrial distribution senior Zach Rozinsky said getting involved in  organizations allows Aggies the opportunity enhance their time spent in college.

“The Open House provides a link between students and some of the over 1,000 organizations on campus,” Rozinsky said. “As Aggies, we are more than just bookworms who excel in the classroom, we are leaders of character who influence our campus, community and world.”

Rosinsky said with so many groups represented, there is an opportunity for everyone to get involved.  

“Our hope is that every student can find an organization that positively impacts their experience at Texas A&M and benefits them as an individual,” Rozinsky said.
The MSC Open House will take place from 1 to 5 p.m. Sept. 6. in the MSC.