MSC to thank students and staff with 65th birthday celebration

With summer right around the corner, the Memorial Student Center is throwing the first beach bash of the season — the 65th MSC Birthday Celebration.

The annual event is put together by the University Center and Special Events, UCEN. The event provides a way for UCEN to give back to the students and gives them the opportunity to show how much the MSC means to them, said Hillary Gee, communication coordinator for UCEN.

“The Memorial Student Center serves as the living room of campus for all Aggies and to celebrate its history and impact to the community, we are hosting our 65th annual birthday celebration,” Gee said. “The birthday party is dedicated to all of the students and staff at Texas A&M that have utilized and cherished the facility.”

Zach Rozinsky, the 2015-2016 MSC President said the MSC serves as the premiere cultural hub and one of the oldest leadership laboratories at Texas A&M. He said hopes many students will attend the event.

“The MSC Birthday Celebration is a time for the MSC to say thank you to the student body for its many years of support,” Rozinsky said. “We hope that many students will come out to enjoy the event with us while we recognize the significance of the Memorial Student Center and celebrate its rich history.”

Last year’s event saw more than 1,800 students in attendance, Gee said. She said there are plans in place for even more attendees this year. The event will include games and food booths hosted by sponsors of the event. Bahama Bucks, one of the event sponsors, created a new flavor specifically for the birthday celebration. Students are encouraged to help name the new flavor on the Memorial Student Center Facebook page.

There will also be prizes available to win. They range from a chance at one of 300 gift cards provided by Barnes & Noble to a grand prize of either an Apple TV or an iPad Mini. Other prizes will be also be provided.

Gee said students are also encouraged to use the hashtag #MSCBDAY to share their pictures and thoughts on social media before and during the event. Snapchat also will have filters for the birthday celebration that can be used when students are in or near the MSC.

Music will be provided by KANM, the student radio station on campus, and there will also be a live performance by “Maroon Steel,” hosted by MSC Town Hall.
The MSC Birthday Celebration will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday in Rudder Plaza. A valid TAMU ID is required to participate in the celebration.