A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

needless fee hike

Year after year, the Student Service Fee increases without students’ consent, but this week, students have the opportunity to put a stop to these runaway fee hikes.
The fee, which funds student programs such as the Memorial Student Center’s committees and Student Activities, stands at $142 per semester, and if approved by students, will rise to $150. It may not seem like much, but if students vote for this deceptively small increase, they are authorizing the University to gradually raise the fee another $100 without student approval. Although state law requires the University to hold a referendum when the fee passes the $150 mark, subsequent increases of less than 10 percent do not require students’ consent.
The spendthrift record of the Student Service Fee Advisory Board, which recommends to administrators the rate of the fee and how the revenue should be spent, should make students reluctant to give the board such sweeping authority to dig into students’ pockets. With annual fee increases of 6-9 percent, the board has been quietly gouging students with rate hikes exceeding the cost of natural growth and inflation. If students approve this increase, they can expect the gouging to resume until the fee hits $250.
In 2001, the board had a $1 million windfall when, following approval of the transportation fee, student service fee money was no longer given to Bus Operations, yet the board still recommended a small rate increase that year. This increase is not to maintain current programs, but to pay for frivolous new initiatives — an absurd proposition in these times of budget cuts.
Students must not relinquish their authority over the fee just yet and should vote no on the student service fee increase.