Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

New band would bring many welcome changes

The hardest Aggie tradition to appreciate is the attempt to create other traditions. Unfortunately, those members of the Aggie community who try to infuse this campus with new and viable traditions may face accusations of trying to unnecessarily alter the Aggie way of life.
This is why the news that A&M Athletic Director Bill Byrne is seeking to form an alternative to the Aggie Band that would perform exclusively at basketball and volleyball games will not be received well by everyone.
In fact, reaction has been decidedly mixed among former members of the Aggie Band, according to an article that appeared earlier this month in The Eagle. But the formation of this band is an excellent idea that will not take away any of the majesty and magnificence of the original Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band.
It should be noted that the formation of this new Aggie band was due in part to concerns about members of the Aggie Band. In a statement released Dec. 17 on the Aggie Daily Web site, Byrne and Aggie Band Director Maj. Timothy Rhea agreed that it was difficult for members of the Aggie Band to perform at almost 50 men’s and women’s basketball and women’s volleyball games and still maintain their responsibilities both as an A&M student and a member of the Corps of Cadets. The Aggie Band will, of course, continue to perform at home and at away football games. It will also support the basketball program for the remainder of this season.
There are, however, more practical reasons why this new band is a good idea.
According to the Aggie Daily statement, Byrne is seeking as many as 90 students to play for the new Aggie band, which would emphasize brass and percussion instruments. The goal is to have a band that can play what the statement describes as “basketball music.” Although the original Aggie Band plays music that isappropriate for Aggie football games, the same music doesn’t necessarily translate well to a basketball environment, which is more fast-paced.
It should not be overlooked that the formation of this new band speaks to a larger issue. It is commendable that the Aggie Band and the yell leaders are willing to perform at Aggie sporting events other than football, but other Aggie sports need to form strong traditions of their own. Basketball and volleyball games should not be seen as poor substitutes for attending Aggie football games.
Some sports, such as baseball, which some Aggies describe as even more fun to attend than Aggie football games, have succeeded at this. But basketball specifically does not enjoy as much support from the Aggie faithful as it should.
But when and if this new Aggie band comes to fruition, it will give at least a few Aggies – those who may not have attended Aggie basketball or volleyball games before – a compelling reason to attend. Indeed, Aggie basketball has already given rise to unique traditions such as the Reed Rowdies and the Aggie Dance Team. Having a basketball-specific band would only strengthen the basketball game day experience.
Because the current student body seems willing to incorporate new traditions into the Aggie way of life, this is probably the most appropriate time to introduce traditions into the A&M community. For example, the vast majority of current students has had no involvement with on-campus Bonfire and is getting used to the idea of producing an off-campus version each fall semester.
While some may try to deny any alteration to the A&M universe, Aggieland is ripe and eager for new traditions to form. While the practical implications alone are probably reason enough to embrace a new band, fostering the formation of new traditions unique to this generation of Aggies is a compelling argument for change that cannot be ignored.