New chancellor McTeer deals with change of pace at A&M

Linking arms with his wife, Suzanne, during “Saw Varsity’s Horns Off” and kissing her after touchdowns, Texas A&M Chancellor Robert D. McTeer watched the A&M football team defeat Texas Tech University’s team from his 10th floor box on the alumni side of Kyle Field as he learned, by experience, the Aggie traditions.
McTeer’s first full day in the office was Thursday, and he said he feels a little inundated with information and people.
“I feel right now like I’m trying to drink water out of a fire hose,” McTeer said. “There’s just too much new (information) coming at you to handle.”
As chancellor, McTeer reports to the A&M Board of Regents and oversees the A&M system’s nine universities, seven state agencies and the Health Science Center.
McTeer said his 36 years in the Federal Reserve System, which includes 12 banks each with its own branch, prepared him for the position of chancellor.
“This (A&M) system with its multiple entities is similar to it,” McTeer said. “I’m kind of use to that. I’m used to trying to bring different entities together, coordinate a little bit, (and) all push in the same direction.”
McTeer, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas for the past 14 years, said he would miss frequent national and international travel, since his travel will now be more limited to Texas.
“I am gaining things, too,” McTeer said, “like football games and football weekends (and) a whole set of new and interesting friends.”
Department of Economics Head Leonardo Auernheimer said McTeer’s experience at a high level of government and his connections will be an asset to the A&M system.
“(He has) contact and connections and experience with the public sector and individuals in government as well as with the private sector, in particular in Texas,” Auernheimer said. “That is going to be a plus.”
Student Body President Jack Hildebrand said that he will most likely work closer with A&M President Robert M. Gates when dealing with campus issues, but that it’s nice to have the chancellor in the same town as a spokesperson for the Board of Regents.
“We’ve got a pretty sharp guy coming in to serve as chancellor,” Hildebrand said. “I think he’s going to bring a lot of thoughts and ideas to continue on with the (job).”
McTeer said he is still learning what the day-to-day job as chancellor entails.
“I’m hoping a typical day doesn’t involve staying in the office all day,” McTeer said. “I want to be out a lot working with all the schools, probably a little more with the others than with A&M itself because there are so many resources here.”
McTeer said Gates is off to a terrific start regarding defining specific goals for A&M.
“I can’t think of anything I would want him to do that he is not already doing,” McTeer said. “I just hope that I’m able to be helpful to him gathering the resources from the Legislature and other places that will enable him to do it.”