New community aims to bring in businesses, young professionals

Photo by Jenna Rabel

Calvary Court, which opened in November 2016, features a large courtyard as well as a restaurant, The Canteen.

Following over a year’s worth of construction, Century Square, a plot of land that will be the home to various businesses and housing, will open.
“We’re here to be a resource to this community,” Midway senior vice-president Ann Taylor said during Century Square’s meet and greet tour Thursday morning. 
The first 30 acres of the property’s massive 60-acre span will open later this month.
Century Square, located off of University Drive and across the street from Texas A&M University, is described as a mixed-use destination that features a variety of businesses, hotels and apartments. The property is set to include restaurants such as Hopdoddy, Zoe’s Kitchen, Piada and more. 
While Century Square is located on what is legally university land, vice chancellor for business affairs Phillip Ray said that the land has not been sold to Midway, rather it’s been leased.
“A&M University System has not sold this land. We’ve leased this land, and so we’re not putting the money in this,” Ray said. “We didn’t put any university dollars or system dollars for any of these improvements.”
Century Square will also be home to the Star Cinema Grill, a nine screen movie theater complex, and the Cavalry Court hotel and The George, a 162-room hotel opening later this month.
The property will also be home to 100 Park, advertised as a “21 and up” styled apartment complex aimed at providing housing for individuals who do not wish to live in student housing. Midway general manager of property management John Taylor said that this detail was established in order to provide young professionals a place to live close to Texas A&M.
“There’s a real lack of non-student housing,” John Taylor said. “College Station’s growing and it’s becoming a more professional place. There’s a lot more people moving here to work, young professionals, people working with the university. So we were looking to offer those people a place to live with easy access to the university.”
Century Square’s marketing associate Jenna Friedrich said that future plans for residents include  weekly events at the location and establishing a set schedule of activities.
“We’re going to bring a lot of weekly events to the community,” Friedrich said. “Such as live music, movies on the green. Our plan is to get a consistent schedule so that people always know there is something going on at Century Square.”
While much of the property is being opened this month, John Taylor still expects Century Square to be under construction for the next few years.
“I think we’re going to be under construction for the next five to 10 years,” John Taylor said. “It just depends on how it goes. Obviously, the more successful we are, the quicker it’ll go.”