New Provost set to take office in October

Photo by Photo Courtesy of the University of Michigan

Noted University of Michigan scholar Carol A. Fierke will fill the role of Provost and Executive Vice President at Texas A&M this October.

Texas A&M will welcome a new member into the Aggie family this fall as Carol A. Fierke assumes the role of Provost and Executive Vice President on Oct. 16.
Fierke was officially selected by the university on June 19, marking the conclusion of a nearly 10 month long search process in which more than 140 applicants were considered.
“I am exceptionally pleased that Dr. Fierke will be our next executive vice president and provost,” A&M President Michael K. Young said in a statement. “As chief academic officer, and as the second in charge for the university, she will contribute greatly to the leadership of Texas A&M. We look forward to benefitting from her experiences as an academic leader, scholar and advocate for higher education.”
As Provost, Fierke will be responsible for every aspect of the university’s academic mission as it relates to faculty, staff and students. The Provost also oversees academic planning, budgeting, supervising and reviewing programs in resident instruction, research and continuing education.
“I was very impressed with everyone that I met during my visits and the outstanding work that is being done to enhance the research, teaching and service mission of the university,” Fierke said in a statement. “I am honored to join you in continuing to lead the university on a positive trajectory in making a significant impact on students and society.”
Another key duty of the Provost’s office is to maintain communication with significant organizations outside of A&M like the Board of Regents, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Texas Legislature, Governor’s Office, Legislative Budget Board and agencies involved with accreditation of the university.
Fierke is currently completing her duties at the University of Michigan, where she has served as Dean of the Rackham Graduate School and Vice Provost for Academic Affairs — Graduate Studies. In addition, she serves as the Jerome and Isabella Karle Distinguished University Professor of Chemistry and professor of biochemistry in the University of Michigan’s medical school.
Fierke joined the University of Michigan in 1999 after receiving her Bachelor of Arts in chemistry from Carleton College, her Ph.D. in biochemistry from Brandeis University and completing post-doctoral work at Pennsylvania State University. During her time at the University of Michigan, Fierke has been recognized for her improvements to education and campus environment. An active contributor to the University of Michigan’s ADVANCE program for highlighting diversity and excellence, Fierke received the 2016 American Chemical Society’s National Award for Encouraging Women into Careers in the Chemical Sciences.
Fierke’s work in the field of chemistry has been widely recognized, and her contributions to the study of enzymes in particular have earned her the American Chemical Society’s Repligen Award in Chemistry of Biological Processes and the Protein Society’s Emil Thomas Kaiser Award. Additionally, Fierke’s research has received continuous funding from the National Institutes of Health and has also received funding from organizations like the National Science Foundation, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, Office of Naval Research and Keck Foundation.
During her time at the University of Michigan, she was part of the Fierke Research Group. Their research focused on a better understanding of biological molecules by looking at their chemical mechanisms and structure-function relationships, amongst other topics.
Fierke will replace Interim Provost and Executive Vice President Douglas J. Palmer, who has held the office since former provost Karan Watson was removed from the position in July. Palmer previously served as Dean of the College of Education and Human Development from 2006 to 2015.
Before fully assuming the role of Provost on Oct. 16, Fierke will visit campus for a welcoming reception on Sept. 19 in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries.