New rabbi embraces Aggieland

West coast native, Rabbi Matt Rosenberg, will soon be a familiar face to students as he fulfills his new role as campus rabbi and executive director to Texas A&M Hillel Foundation, a chapter of the nationwide network and organization for Jewish students.
Rosenberg was ordained in May after studying at the Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies in Los Angeles, Calif. Rosenberg said while in seminary, visiting representatives from Hillel Headquarters in Washington inspired him, and rather than pursue a position as “pulpit rabbi,” he decided to become involved with Hillel.
“I was really moved by what they had to say, most notably the impact the Hillel has on Jewish and non-Jewish students,”
Rosenberg said.
In February, Rosenberg accepted his offer to be part of the Texas A&M chapter.
“When I came for interviews, I fell in love with the campus and its traditions,” Rosenberg said. “I knew this is where I wanted
to be.”
Since his official arrival July 1, Rosenberg has met with current and former students, donors and faculty at
Texas A&M.
Before rabbinical school, Rosenberg attended the University of California, Davis, and California State University, where he received both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in geography. As an undergraduate, he was an active volunteer with the Red Cross where he was an emergency responder and taught disaster and CPR classes.
After he graduated, Rosenberg continued to serve within Red Cross. He was sent to disaster sites across the country. In 2001, he traveled to New York during the aftermath of 9/11, where he counseled victims and their families.
“It was great work and very rewarding,” Rosenberg said. “I felt like the skills I learned at Red Cross could really be well suited as being rabbi.”
Rosenberg described his appointment as an opportunity to “revitalize” Hillel, with plans for new educational programs, Friday night services and social gatherings to attract more Jewish students.
“There are not many Jewish kids coming to A&M, because there [are] other campuses with larger communities,” said Riley Greenberg, senior agriculture leadership and development major and member of the Texas A&M Hillel student board.
Sarah Herstein, senior chemistry major, said Rosenberg would be an excellent fit for Texas A&M students.
“I think having a new rabbi with a clear vision will help the students want to get involved,” Herstein said.
Rosenberg will be replacing recently retired Peter Tarlow, who served as Hillel rabbi and executive director for thirty years. Rosenberg said 30 would still be active within the Hillel and Jewish community.
Rosenberg also said he will be promoting a future Jewish studies program at Texas A&M.
Last November, Hillel was able to move into its new building after two years of construction and displacement in a temporary location.
Greenberg and Herstein both said the upcoming changes should positively impact Hillel.
“I want students to be aware that I’m here for them and Hillel is here to be a home away from home,” Rosenberg said.