Nic’s the pick

Nic Taunton has been elected Texas A&M’s student body president for 2006-2007.
The unofficial results were announced minutes after midnight Friday at the Sul Ross statue in Academic Plaza.
Taunton, a junior finance major, defeated his opponent Brian Blackwell, a senior management major, in a runoff election. He won with 65.58 percent of the votes.
“I’m speechless,” Taunton said. “I’m so overwhelmed with joy that I get this opportunity.”
Taunton said his victory can be attributed to the great people he was surrounded with during his campaign.
“We had a dedicated team,” he said. “We really went out and showed the student body what we stand for.”
Taunton said his first goal as student body president will be to build a solid executive council.
“It’s important to have people who are passionate about service, people with integrity, and people who are willing to work all year long for the students,” Taunton said.
Only 8,121 students voted in the runoff election compared to 12,990 voters in the initial election.
Taunton emerged as the favorite in the runoff after receiving more than twice the votes as Blackwell in the initial voting on March 29 and 30. Blackwell, who received fewer than 19 percent of the initial votes, was hoping to rally after receiving the endorsements of five initial student body president candidates.
“It’s definitely disappointing, but I know the University is headed in a good direction next year,” Blackwell said. “That’s what the students want, so I think it’s good for the University.”
Taunton’s term as student body president will begin April 22 and he will serve one year. He will replace current Student Body President Jim Carlson, who appointed Taunton to his position on the executive council.
Prior to being elected, Taunton served as the student advocate for unity on the Student Government Executive Council. He has also been involved in the Aggie Men’s Club, Fish Aides and several other Student Government Association and Executive Council positions.