North Carolina blows by Washington State

Washington State hung with North Carolina until mid first half. After that North Carolina pulled further and further away from the Cougars creating a lead as large as 26 at one time. At the end of the night the Cougars had simply been over overwhelmed, like so many teams before them, by the Tar Heels talent, defense, and of course, junior Tyler Hansbrough.
Hansbrough scored a double double as he led the game in points and rebounds with 18 and 9 respectively. Alongside the player of the year candidate was Wayne Ellington, Ty Lawson, and Denny Green who all recorded double digit points. Ellington and Deon Thompson both recorded eight rebounds.
Then again it might have been poor shooting on the Cougars part and the Tar Heels defense for why Carolina advanced with such ease. Washington State shot 18-57 (.316) and an even worse 2 for 16 from three point range.
“We continued to talk about this throughout the year, the fact that we’re tired of hearing that North Carolina can’t play defense and that’s going to be our weak link,” Carolina junior Marcus Ginyard said. “But tonight, I think you see that this team has the capability of buckling down and being that great defensive team.”
“Defensively we thought we were really good,” Carolina head coach Roy Williams said, “but yet let’s be honest: they missed some open shots.”
The Cougar’s game leaders were Derrick Low and Aron Baynes who both scored 14 points. Baynes and Robbie Cowgill both recorded eight rebounds as well.
The 47 points recorded by Washington State was the fewest points allowed by a Carolina team since 1946.
Carolina will advance to the Elite Eight where they will face three seed Louisville, fresh off an upset of two seed Tennessee.