Northgate parking project addresses safety issues

A project, budgeted for more than $3 million, is slated for the Northgate area and will possibly have significant effects on parking in the vicinity.
“This is a challenging project with many different stakeholders with a variety of different interests and land uses,” said Chuck Gilman, director of capital projects. “Primarily we are concerned with improving pedestrian safety, improve city’s ability to provide fire protection, replace aging water and sewer lines in the area, improve the pavement along both streets and improve drainage.”
Those concerned have a chance to voice their opinions on the issue during the city council meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in the College Station City Hall.
This issue is the top regular agenda item and prior to being opened for discussion staff will give a presentation on the project, including conversations about the project that have taken place, things that have been said about the project as well as at least three options for the project.
The options that will be presented include, but are not limited to, the following:
Option 1: Remove all the on-street parking, provide 8-foot wide sidewalks with street trees, concrete pavement (width will vary because ROW width varies), rehabilitate utilities and allow for two-way traffic. This option will result in the loss of approximately 202 spaces along Tauber street and Stasney street.
Option 2: Mill the old pavement and overlay a new asphalt surface. Rehabilitate the utilities. Address the pavement grade issues along Tauber street between Cross street and Cherry street. Do not construct sidewalks or install trees. All head-in parking and parallel parking will remain. Maintain two-way traffic along Tauber street and Stasney street. This option will not result in the loss of any parking spaces along Tauber street and Stasney street.
Option 3: Remove head-in parking along Tauber street and Stasney street, replace or keep parallel parking where possible along Tauber street and Stasney street. Amend the Northgate Parking Plan to allow for on-street parking along one side of Tauber street and one side of Stasney street, provide 8-foot wide sidewalks with street trees, concrete pavement, replace or rehabilitate the utilities and allow for two-way traffic. Maintain two-way traffic along Tauber street and Stasney street. This option will result in the loss of approximately 137 parking spaces along Tauber street and Stasney street.
Nearly $573 has been spent or allocated to the project already, leaving the balance just under $2.5 million.
Students with interest in the issue should attend the council meeting if they wish to have a say in the decision and which option is chosen.
“What would be of most interest to the students would be the pedestrian needs and parking and how we can compromise with those two,” said Lynn McIhaney, mayor pro temp of College Station, “and students can tell the council how they feel and together we can try to accomplish what’s best for everyone.”