Off Campus Aggies looking for donations during move-out week

Hey! Someone could have used that! Ever have this thought when you’re driving around during move out time? Seeing tons of stuff in the trash that could have been used by someone always catches us off guard. Well, this year, worry no more; that stuff will get used, because Off Campus Aggies is starting a brand new program called Moving Out, in association with Goodwill, Residence Life and RHA to collect the mountain of usable goods and donate it all to those who need it.
This year, despite Off Campus Aggies’ obvious off-campus routes, there will be two donation spots on campus, accompanied by Goodwill 18-wheeler trucks. In addition to these on-campus sites, OCA is also working with local apartment complexes, such as the Traditions and Cambridge, and with Sorority Row to establish four off-campus donation spots for the first year of operation.
The big days for Moving Out will be May 6 to 8 for off-campus residents, and May 9 to 10 on campus. This time around, OCA will be using The Big Event model of management to actually have other organizations sign up for donation time slots, during which their organization would staff the donation spot.
For the off-campus days, OCA will set up donation spots at the various apartment complexes that have chosen to participate. Students can bring items ranging from canned food to furniture to the trucks, and as long as they are approved items, they will be boxed up and loaded on to help someone in need.
For the on-campus days, OCA will set up donation spots in the parking lot at the intersection of Wellborn Road and University Drive (PA30, adjacent to the A-3 Lounge and Davis-Gary Hall), and on Mosher Circle, but they can’t do it all on their own.
“Student volunteers will be absolutely necessary to the success of this event. They will help OCA to secure a link between the student body and the community that we wish to serve,” said Off Campus Aggies Service Chair, Jason Whitfield.
So this year, OCA encourages you to e-mail them at [email protected] and sign up your organization for a slot to help move it out.
Erik HausmannClass of 2006