Items from Lt. Col. David Michael Booth, Class of 1964, on display at the Muster Reflections Display in the Memorial Student Center on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Muster Reflections Display held ahead of ceremony
Hilani Quinones, Assistant News Editor • April 18, 2024

Until April 21, visitors can view personal memorabilia from fallen Aggies who will be honored at the 2024 Muster Ceremony. The Aggie Muster...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Shanielle Veazie, Sports Writer • April 17, 2024

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday,...

The Highway 6 Band performs while listeners slow dance at The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
'Life is a Highway' (6 Band)
Amy Leigh Steward, Assistant Life & Arts Editor • April 17, 2024

It starts with a guitar riff. Justin Faldyn plays lead, pulling rock and blues out of the strings.  After a beat, comes the beat of the drums,...

Think your music taste somehow makes you different? Opinion writer Isabella Garcia says being unique is an illusion. (Photo by Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
Opinion: The myth of uniqueness
Isabella Garcia, Opinion Writer • April 16, 2024

You’re basic. It’s thought that the term “basic bitch” originated from a 2009 video of Lil Duval standing on a toilet in front of...

Off-campus bonfire making progress

Matt Barnes, a freshman environmental design major, first experienced Aggie Bonfire in November 1997 with his older brother Wendell, Class of 2000. This year, Barnes has experienced Aggie traditions first-hand, taking a role in building the off-campus bonfire.
Barnes said the work and relationships built during the months prior to Student Bonfire Burn were more important than the bonfire burning.
“We don’t build it to watch it burn, we burn it so we can build another one,” Barnes said.
Student Bonfire will burn Nov. 20 at 9:05 p.m. at Hot Rod Hill, off Texas Hwy. 6 near the Tabor Road exit. A map is available on the Student Bonfire Web site.
Senior animal science major Paul Harding, a Student Bonfire Gray Pot, or high-ranking supervisor, said 70 logs have gone up, but that stacking will soon go at a faster rate now that the biggest logs have already been stacked.
“We’re about to pick up speed,” Harding said. “We have the major work behind us.”
Harding said about 600 students have been involved with Student Bonfire so far and that most students get involved by hearing about it through their friends or residence halls.
Barnes said he got involved with Student Bonfire through his residence hall, Crocker, where upperclassmen in the hall told the freshmen about it.
“None of us knew each other before, now we’re closer than I’ve been with any people I’ve ever been with,” Barnes said. “That’s exactly what the Aggie family is about.”
Emmanuel Garcia, a graduate student in Spanish and member of the Bonfire Coalition, said he thinks Student Bonfire so far is admirable.
“We are two organizations trying to do something with different approaches,” Garcia said. “The Bonfire spirit is with both of us.”
Garcia said discussion of the future of a possible on-campus bonfire should be postponed until litigation is complete and after the Bonfire Memorial dedication Nov. 18.
“We don’t want to disrespect the families of those who died,” Garcia said. “(When) the Bonfire Memorial dedication is over, then we can move on.”
Barnes said his brother plans to come to College Station to experience Bonfire again.
“I feel the Aggie family most during Bonfire,” Barnes said. “It’s felt out there cutting logs more than anywhere else.”