Officials consider remodeling Commons dining

Student complaints about the Commons dining area have prompted University officials to solicit student input to determine how the dining area should be renovated.
About 20 students attended a forum Tuesday sponsored by the department of Food Services to discuss remodeling the aging dining hall.
The Commons Dining Center has faced design problems since its inception because of its basement location, said Ron Beard, director of Food Services. It was remodeled 13 years ago, but in a survey taken last year many students expressed that the Commons was “dated” and “too dark.”
Steps were taken earlier this year to alleviate some of the problems, Beard said. The dinning hall was relighted, dark wall paper was removed and the back wall was decorated with photos supplied by Student Activities, Beard said.
A student advisory committee was formed by Food Services to address concerns about the Commons.
“The students saw what was done with Sbisa and they want the same type of thing on Southside,” Beard said.
Ideas suggested by students include a meeting room similar to the one on the east side of Sbisa and a late night coffee house area similar to Bernie’s Cafe ExpressO that would include study areas. Students also suggested that the serving area remain buffet style, and they want other dining options like a food court area.
Some of the students who work at the Commons Dining Center said they feel remodeling would lure more students to eat there.
“I think it needs to be more like Sbisa,” said Kelly Eubanks, a sophomore psychology major. “I don’t like the atmosphere at the Commons. It’s too closed in.”
But some students who frequent the Commons said they do not think renovations are necessary.
“It’s not falling apart or anything. It’s not bad and it doesn’t bother me,” said Judson Houston, a freshman mechanical engineering major.
Funds would be set aside by Food Services if enough interest is expressed in the remodeling project, Beard said.