On & off campus housing

Photo by Photo by: Carlie Russell
Some students prefer living in dorms such as Hullabaloo

For some students moving to Aggieland, it might be the first time living on their own and for other students it might be just another move. There are many places to reside in such as apartments, houses, dorms or duplexes. There are huge differences between living on-campus and living off-campus.While students living off campus have more housing options than students living on campus, both provide different benefits.
“You get to see the world from a different view outside of A&M,”  CJ  Schafer, landscape architect junior, said.“When you are done with classes at school, you get to go to a more relaxed home environment and not at a place you dislike.”
As a student living off-campus in a house, Schafer said that it is cheaper and it is great to have pets. He said he believes that these are some benefits to living off-campus. However, Schafer said that the biggest hassle of living off-campus is having to drive to school.
“I thought it was great to have my own room, bathroom and kitchen. That was probably the best benefit,” Colton Weaver, computer engineer senior and apartment resident, said.
Weaver said that there are also downsides to living off campus.
“I kind of felt disconnected from the community that’s on campus. I don’t get to hear about events and stuff,” Weaver said. “You don’t get as much exposure to other people, so your first year can be a little harder making friends. You have to go out there and be more active yourself.”
Because of his experience living off campus, Weaver said that it is easier to make friends living on campus.
Although there are various advantages to living off campus, Sylvia Ramirez, psychology sophomore and current dorm resident said that there are benefits to living on campus as well.
“[When living on campus] you’re close to school, so you don’t have to get up an hour early and go to class, you can literally wake up in five minutes and go,” Ramirez said.  “You’re involved in campus a lot more and get to see all the events going on at campus.”
Schafer said that living on campus is easier to stay connected and have better access to traditions such as Silver Taps and Midnight Yell. However, Ramirez said that the dorm rooms are too small for her liking.
“[The dorm] is like a jail cell. Everything is concrete and it’s not like a home. The whole thing was unclean and the lighting was always terrible so it was always dark no matter what,” Ramirez said.

Although her experience was bad, Ramirez said this living situation was only unique to her dorm, and she does not feel that all dorms are depressing.

“It’s still convenient and you’re super involved in the culture when you live on campus,” Ramirez said.” You meet a lot of good friends here and you could become best friends with your roommate.”

• Others prefer living off campus

Photo by Photo by: Grant Phifer