Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

On the Mark

With the office of Student Body President of Texas A&M University comes a great deal of responsibilities, including representative, mediator, negotiator, coordinator and other qualities that reach far beyond what is typical of a college senior.
For 2008-2009 Student Body President Mark Gold, however, the role held one intent.
“My purpose as the president was very simple,” Gold said. “I wanted to serve students with excellence.”
His presidential journey began April 3, 2008, when Gold defeated his opponent in the run-off election.
“Probably the most humbling experience was simply being elected,” Gold said. “I know that I will never be able to perfectly represent the character and Spirit that makes this University so special. But to be entrusted with the responsibility of serving the students that I love so much is one of the most incredibly, humbling honors I may ever be given.”
His term has introduced Gold to multiple prominent figures on the state, national, and international stage. He has met with Texas Gov. Rick Perry, testified before the Texas Legislature, spoke with Presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, and talked with former University President and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.
Even with all of these interactions, Gold emphasized that it was his day-to-day activities with Aggie students that made his job meaningful.
“Everyday as SBP seemed to hold something new,” Gold said. “But I knew that everyday I would have the chance to interact with students, and that is truly what inspired me and kept me motivated.”
The Aggie family was an important theme throughout Gold’s term. He was continually reminded of the strong presence of the Aggie Spirit, even in the most difficult times.
“The hardest thing that I had to deal with this year was representing the student body at 2nd Lt. Zac Cook’s funeral, various meetings with the families of the 1999 Bonfire victims, visiting the families of the students being honored at Silver Taps, the Ring Remembrance Ceremony and Muster,” Gold said.
The lessons learned through these experiences within the vastly diverse Aggie community are what will impact Gold far beyond his one-year term.
“I have learned that life is full of uncertainty. At any given time, our lives can be changed forever,” Gold said. “However, I also believe that there is a purpose worth living and dying for that allows us to walk in peace in the midst of complete uncertainty.”
The 12th Man has personified this lesson for Gold.
“I have seen this purpose exemplified in the desire to live for something greater than oneself,” Gold said. “I have seen this purpose embodied in Aggies’ relentless pursuit of selfless service. I have seen this purpose exemplified in the unfailing commitment that Aggies have for one another.”
The senior biomedical science major will spend another year at Texas A&M finishing his undergraduate degree and begin the process of applying for medical school.
Even after his academic career at Texas A&M, Gold’s impact will leave an imprint on the University. Gold has been elected as one of the class agents for the Class of 2009, who serve as liaisons between the class and the Association of Former Students.
Gold encouraged all students to invest in the University by dedicating their skills and time to getting the most out of their time spent in Aggieland.
“You are surrounded by the best students that will challenge you and help you grow,” Gold said. “Take advantage of your opportunity, and find ways to serve the people around you.”
Watch the video of Mark Gold’s last days in office at thebatt.com