Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) catches the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 12, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Troubles in ‘Loosa
Braxton Dore, Sports Writer • April 13, 2024

After taking the home series over Kentucky last weekend, No. 12 Texas A&M softball received a well-deserved break over the week before traveling...

Ring Day run rule
Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

On the road again…

Liz Wilburn, a sophomore biomedical sciences major, was excited about the presidential election last year and hopped into a car to travel to Austin with her friends.
“We couldn’t believe we actually left town that night because everyone had 8 a.m. tests the next day,” Wilburn said.
She and a group of her sorority sisters left on a Tuesday night for then Governor George W. Bush’s election rally. Wilburn said it was a last-minute decision to go. They showed their Aggie spirit at the capitol by holding a yell practice along with other Aggies and were on television.
Instead of sitting around the entire weekend, most students like Wilburn, pile into the nearest car and head out of town. Spontaneous road trips can be an adventure for students, and lasting memories can be made.
“It was a great bonding experience,” Wilburn said.
Julie Weber, a recent A&M graduate, also traveled to Austin for the rally.
“My favorite thing about road trips is not the destination but the journey,” Weber said. “It’s getting there that’s the best part.”
Last year, during the week before finals, a group hit the road to clear their minds and escape the stress of studying.
Phillip Bethancourt, a sophomore business major, and Rodney Reed, a sophomore speech communications major, drove to Stuart Beach in Galveston and relaxed with friends.
“The best part is getting away for a while because you get so wrapped up in school. We learned a very important lesson – you have to always bring the party with you,” Bethancourt said.
Yobany Mayen, a junior business major, said visiting countries is great for college trips.
He and Evan Loomis, a junior business major, backpacked in East Asia and took part in many adventures. He said they jumped on a rickety bus, disassembled their bikes and rode in a cart on the back of a tractor to get to their destination. Loomis and Mayen arrived at a park by a river and slept there.
“Road trips in other countries provide unique and adventurous experiences surrounded by people who don’t speak your language,” Mayen said. “It’s kind of like a first date, scary and fun at the same time.”
Driving is not the only option for road trips. A group of cadets last year preferred to challenge themselves by hitchhiking to football games. They ventured out past Bryan and hiked most of the way to Waco. Keith Cocanougher, a junior accounting major, dropped them off on the side of Highway 6 before they began the long trek.
Matt Malone, a junior political science major, hiked on the trip and said they held signs up with “Beat the Hell out of Baylor” on them as they walked.
“We were surprised because we got three rides there,” Malone said. “I guess there were some loyal Aggies out on the road. We passed the Gig’em barn and pulled over for pictures.”
On the way back, Malone said his buddies that drove assumed they would hike home, but they were thinking otherwise. So, the fight began and they finally compromised.
“The ride home was pretty uncomfortable because we all crowded into a few trucks,” Malone said.
Last year, Allison Bradley, a junior speech communications major, acted like she was a tourist in Dallas even though her friends lived there. She said it was a blast as they viewed museums and went downtown to the comedy club.
“It’s almost like going on a mini-vacation while you’re in school,” Bradley said. “The most memorable part is being crammed into a car together and jamming to music.”
College formals are usually out of town and offer many opportunities for road trips. Rebecca Bennett, a junior business major, journeyed to Austin for a Sigma Phi Lambda formal her freshman year.
“This road trip was full of disasters, but it still made for a fun weekend,” Bennett said.
Bennett said the girls and their dates did not make it in time for dinner, so they stopped at Taco Cabana and ate in the car near a dumpster because there was no parking lot in sight. A girl spilled coke all over her white dress and they finally arrived at the formal just in time to say hello and goodbye as everyone was leaving. To add to the tragedy, they got lost for hours on the way home.
Road trips provide memorable experiences for everyone, even if mishaps occur. College is the time for these random trips and it is a great way to meet new people. Planned trips can be exciting, but years from now memories will last from the unexpected ones.