One less reading day on schedule this year

This semester, students are experiencing a change in their study habits brought on by the university.

This finals season, there is one less reading day this semester, giving students less time to prepare for their exams.

The loss of one reading day is to make way for more time for another important event this semester, said Venesa A. Heidrick, Registrar for Texas A&M University.

“Basically, there was a third day added to the Graduation and Commencement ceremony,” said Heidick. “In order to accommodate for those ceremonies, one of the reading days was removed.”

Heidick said that the decision was made by the university leadership, not solely by the Office of the Registrar, and that the matter was brought up prior to this semester.

“Last year, Interim President Hussey put together a group to examine the growing graduating class,” said Heidick. “[Hussey] referred to them as a ‘Graduation Task Force,’ and the decision was part of the recommendation by that group.”

The fact that many students face multiple finals this semester can bring on its own issues, and the one less reading day is a factor of that, said Gregory Ormes, assistant professor for the communications department.

“The final exam schedule is random,” said Ormes. “And what reading days did was provide a buffer for students to prepare for the multiple exams they may have on one day. Eliminating that day takes away the fairness from the students, giving them less time to prepare.”

Ormes said that although the change solely affects students, the faculty is concerned with not how students will perform on their finals, but handle the stress that comes with this season of tests.

“I have a high degree of confidence in my students, but what will be affected is psychological,” said Ormes. “It’s the stress – students can handle the burden which is the stress that comes with finals,  but the taking away of one reading day only makes that load heavier.”