O’Neill can’t overshadow Bush’s success

In response to Sommer Hamilton’s Jan. 20 column:
Bush is doing his job. Citing O’Neill as proof of a corrupt presidential leadership is irresponsible for a journalist. You have taken one man’s opinion and presented it as truth. You suggest that the war in Iraq has no merit and that Bush had been planning it from the beginning.Well, you are right that it was on the drawing board before Sept. 11(no one has denied that). In fact, the situation in Iraq has been on the government’s agenda for 12 years. This is called being responsible and prepared. Here is merit for you. We had serious reason to believe that Iraq was developing or about to develop weapons of mass destruction, and although we have not found any, we have found mountains of the material needed to develop them.It is also a very real possibility that he destroyed them before we invaded. And what about crimes against humanity?He was an evil tyrant who murdered his own people. For decades liberals have fought for “world peace,” and when we finally do something about it, all of a sudden we are trigger-happy. The economy is rising, the deserving people of Iraq are liberated, Bush is running an honest administration, and no book written by a guy who got fired from the White House is going to change my opinion on that.
Sharla Parker Class of 2003