Organization aims to bring awareness and support to veterans with PTSD

Photo by Photo by Madeline Sambrano

A&M chapter of Lone Survivor Foundation, which aids military members in their transition back to American life, held profit share Wednesday.

Exactly two years ago, in October of 2014, the first collegiate chapter of the Lone Survivor Foundation started on A&M’s campus. Now, the organization has raised more than $40,000 to go directly to the Lone Survivor Foundation and has no plans to stop. The chapter held a profit share on Oct. 26 at Jason’s Deli.

The Lone Survivor Foundation is a nationally run organization that aids military members in their transition back to American life and dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The A&M chapter was founded by biomedical sciences senior Brooke Ferguson, who started the chapter after growing up with a father who has PTSD and then later reading Marcus Luttrell’s book “Lone Survivor” at his suggestion. Ferguson also felt the organization would serve a great purpose on campus because of its high military history and the presence of the Corps of Cadets. 

“I noticed that veteran organizations on campus really didn’t talk about PTSD,” Ferguson said. “With me having so many friends in the Corps that are going to go into the military, I decided to start the chapter.”

The foundation hosted a precision rifle match on Oct. 15 which raised roughly $32,500 to go directly to the Foundation. The A&M chapter treasurer and economics junior, Madeline Martin, said this was one of her favorite events with the organization.

“It was really cool because it was these top shooters, some of them ex-marksman and a lot of them were Rangers or a part of the Army Marksmanship team,” Martin said.

Ferguson’s father helped organize the national rifle match, and Ferguson said seeing her father come to terms with his PTSD is something she will always treasure.

“The best moment was getting to see him tallying up the totals of how much we raised,” Ferguson said. “He actually talked with the board of directors [of Lone Survivor] to go on a retreat and that was him finally admitting to getting help and conquering it.”

Natalie Grote, agricultural leadership and development senior, said the Lone Survivor Foundation made more of an impact on her than she thinks she made on the veterans.

“LSF means more to me than I can describe because it is such an impactful, sensitive organization with such strong values of courage and strength,” Grote said. “Meeting people from all walks of life and hearing how my impact, whether it be as simple as a smile or a listening ear, means more to me than I can express.”

Student veteran Shane Sheftall, studying geology, said the foundation has provided a safe haven for him on campus.

“This group brings a lot of awareness for veterans to campus. It’s like a safe haven for us,” Sheftall said. “They seem like they are well driven, well-motivated and know how to help.”