Organized Religion: Recent tragedy sparks religious controversy

In the wake of the largest terrorist attack in American history, questions of religion and faith have become central in the eyes of the nation. Churches across the country were flooded with worshippers who needed a place to pray and mourn for those who were murdered in the attacks. Despite the solace to be found in churches, organized religion as a whole has caused more pain and suffering than it is worth.
Undoubtedly, religion in one form or another is an important aspect of each individual’s life, regardless of whether one actually attends church. In order to make sense of the world around them, each individual must have some basic set of beliefs in order to sensibly make their way through the world.
However, while religion itself is important to individuals, organized religion has been a burden to society rather than a help. Since before the Crusades, people of organized faiths have been competing with each other to prove that their religion is the one true religion. As a result, the world has been inundated with holy wars throughout history.
The most infamous example was the Crusades of 1096, when Pope Urban II promoted warfare under the auspice of reclaiming the Holy Lands from the barbarian Turks.
Although the Crusades are the most well-known, it is by no means the only major war fought over religious differences. The Huguenot Wars, also known as the Wars of Religion, were a series of civil wars in late 16th century France in which the immediate issue was the French Protestant’s struggle for freedom of worship.
Despite this, organized religion has been cited as a simple solution for virtually all of society’s problems.
Concern about violent crime, especially deadly crimes committed by youths on other youths has had the nation’s attention for over a year, and numerous columnists and religious leaders have pointed to decreased attendance in church as the reason. Ironically, such solutions are proposed at a time when violent crime is dropping. Violent crime against children is also decreasing.
The fact is that despite, or perhaps because of, a society that has become more secular, the world has become a better place over all. This is because for the first time in history, people are beginning to realize that the edicts of organized religion must be thought about and considered before an individual adopts those ideas. As Martin Luther argued in the early 16th century, individuals must be able to think about religion on their own without the church acting as an intermediary. Once people begin to think for themselves and develop their own moral codes, the world stands in a much better position for peaceful progression.
Even as an individual successfully argued that religion does not cause violence, it certainly does nothing to stop it. Religion serves as a useful tool for those who wish to perpetrate it.
In wartime when virtually every American has been affected by the recent tragedy, churches have served a function in providing people with a place to congregate and mourn our losses in prayer. However, at the same time, Muslims within our community are too frightened to leave their homes for fear of misguided retribution.
Why would Americans do such a thing? Perhaps they have read Matthew 10:14-15, in which Jesus tells his disciples to condemn those who do not follow his teachings. If Jesus has such a low regard for non-believers, why should his followers? In this way, religious teachings can be used to promote violence and anger towards those of other faiths. As Robert Green Ingersoll said in “Crumbling Creeds,” “the doctrine of eternal punishment is in perfect harmony with the savagery of the men who made the orthodox creed.”
America has needed a place to come together and mourn, and for such purposes the churches have been useful. However, as a whole, organized religion has led to Holy Inquisitions, religious warfare and individual cases of violence against those of other faiths.
Hopefully the near future will allow us to come to the point where organized religion will no longer be necessary, where each person will take the time to educate themselves about the various own views, experiences and needs. The time for individuals to be molded by the views of the churches they grew up in has come to a close.