Panel on empowering women

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

Panelists discussed aspects of diversity at Women in Leadership Lecturing on Power Nov. 30.

Exposure to diversity and inclusion shaped the lives of five women, and empowered them to grow and hold leadership positions in their respective fields.
Tonight, MSC Aggie Leaders of Tomorrow (ALOT) teamed up with the MSC Committee for the awareness of Mexican American Culture (CAMAC) to present Women in Leadership Lecturing (W.I.L.L.) on Power. The event took place in the MSC Bethancourt ballroom where 5 panelists, ranging from Texas A&M Deans and Professors to local business owners, discussed aspects of Diversity.
MSC ALOT is dedicated to developing excellent student leaders by presenting various on-campus programs throughout the year. Sophomore accounting major John Mitchell serves as an Executive Director for the organization.
“We wanted to reach outside the idea that diversity is limited to people who look differently,” Mitchell said. “We wanted to show how having different backgrounds and passions plays into leadership and career paths.”
The panelists shared the many ways that diversity had impacted their lives. Assistant Dean of the College of Medicine Dianne Kraft discussed how her lack of exposure to diversity affected her career path.
“When I was a student at the University of Texas back in the 1970’s, I literally had no women professors,” Kraft said. “I think that contributed to the fact that at that time, I didn’t really have any conceptual goals.”
Growing up, Kraft lived in many places around the world and discussed how through her experiences, she was able to set goals for herself.
“When you live in other countries, you realize that there’s more than one way to do things,” Kraft said. “The relationship of understanding the many ways to do things and wanting to make the world a better place has really shaped my life.”
Panelists explained the importance of diversity and inclusion campus and in society. Associate Vice President of Student Affairs Cynthia Hernandez said she is motivated to reach her goal of making Texas A&M a more welcoming environment.
“My mom is from Laredo and my dad is a Mexican immigrant. These two things have very much influenced me,” Hernandez said. “In life, we look at things through lenses to see how we can make this place more inclusive for everyone, that’s what drives me.”
The program was started with the goal of empowering women through stories of growth and leadership. Dr. Lilia Campana, Professor of Visualization, ended the program with a piece of advice for the women in the audience.
“Don’t rely on anyone else and be independent,” Campana said. “Be financially independent, study, find yourself and be free.”