Parents’ Weekend brims with variety of events

Aggieland will welcome back to campus its proud parents starting Friday for the 94th annual Parents’ Weekend.
Parents’ Weekend, a Texas A&M tradition that has existed under different labels since 1919, will be held Friday through Sunday, giving parents the opportunity to share the campus experience through a variety of events. The weekend is organized by the 40 students on the Parents’ Weekend Committee.
Alex Pruett, senior biomedical sciences major and director of the Parents’ Weekend Committee, said students work year-round to make sure the weekend represents the values and spirit of A&M to visitors.
“We are an entirely student-run organization, so we have to get the food vendors, our sponsors, contact them all, follow up with them and just make sure everything is ready, which can be really challenging just because of everyone’s expectations,” Pruett said. “A lot of people think that A&M is in charge of it, and that it isn’t a student organization, but we work really, really hard to keep everyone happy and make sure the weekend is successful.”
The weekend will consist of many attractions, from sporting events such as the Maroon and White spring football game to the “Taste of Aggieland,” an event that brings local food vendors together on Duncan Drill Field.
Pruett said her favorite part of the weekend is Friday afternoon, when many students will receive their Aggie rings.
“For all the people getting their rings, it’s a really exciting time for them,” Pruett said. “I received my ring last year and I know how special it is to everyone.”
Friday will also feature the first Midnight Yell for the recently elected 2013-2014 yell leaders. Chris Powell, junior sociology major and senior yell leader, said he is honored the student body allowed him the opportunity to walk onto Kyle Field and help lead his first yell practice.
“It’s kind of hard to put into words,” Powell said. “I’m just really excited and looking forward to doing all I can to give as much back while wearing the uniform. I can’t say enough about how excited I am and how really humbled I am by getting the opportunity to do this.”
Powell said the weekend is also special to him for more personal reasons. He will get to share this experience with his mother and sisters, who are new to Aggie traditions.
“I’m actually from the East Coast, so I really don’t get to see my mom or sisters much,” Powell said. “I’m going to be getting my ring on Friday as well, so it’ll be really cool to share that with my family, especially since my mom didn’t go to A&M. [It will] kind of give her a taste of what I’ll be doing this next year, so it’s going to be awesome because I’m going to be able to share it with my family.”
Sunday’s events will include the presentation of a Parent of the Year award. Last year’s recipients of the award, Brien and Kathy Smith, spent the year prior connecting with Aggie students. Kathy, Class of 1981 and mother to three Aggies, said getting to interact with so many members of the Aggie family was the most cherished part of her year.
Kathy said Parents’ Weekend is a great way for parents to get involved in their children’s college experience and that parents should make sure they participate.
“Whether they’re Aggies or not Aggies, [parents should] make sure that they come to a Midnight Yell practice and go to an Aggie football game and come to Parents’ Weekend,” Kathy said. “You’ve got to share that experience … to really appreciate what you’re child’s going through.”