Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Parrott takes helm of Student Life

After a nationwide search, Dr. David Parrott was chosen to replace Dr. Brent Patterson as the new dean of Student Life. Patterson left A&M to fill the position of assistant vice president of Student Affairs at Illinois State University.
Parrott came to A&M from Western Michigan University, where he was the assistant vice president of Student Affairs.
?The position of dean requires a strong background and experience in Student Affairs,? said Terry Pankratz, assistant vice president of Student Affairs.
Parrott earned a bachelor?s degree in management and a master?s degree in student personnel service at Western Kentucky University. He then pursued a doctoral degree in student affairs from the University of Louisville.
A search advisory committee of 13 people from A&M advertised the job opening in national publications.
The search committee was looking for an individual with a doctoral degree, student skills, a broad background in student affairs, knowledge of strategic planning and an awareness of current issues.
?We were looking for the best individual with the best credentials and experience,? said Dr. J. Malon Southerland, vice president of Student Affairs. ?Dr. Parrott was th primary recommendation for the position. We needed someone who could easily identify with the students.?
Parrott said his new role will include overseeing the Division of Student Affairs and three associate directors within the department.
The student life department is divided into nine divisions: greek life, student technology, students with disabilities, gender issues, adult graduates, alcohol and drug education programs, graduate student services, off-campus student services and student confliction resolution services.
?The complexity of the department is a challenge, and the dean must have a diverse background and be familiar with the programs,? Pankratz said.
Parrott, who started working in his new position on Aug. 20, said he has already set several goals that he would like to meet while in the office.
?One of our goals is to continue to have the greatest impact on student learning and personal development that we can have,? Parrott said. ?I am also excited about current initiatives and discussing new programs with the student life staff.?