Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Parsons members may face school sanctions

Parsons Mounted Cavalry members will not face criminal hazing charges, but the future of the Corps of Cadets unit remains uncertain with 30 cadets facing possible disciplinary sanctions from Texas A&M.
After a five month criminal investigation that included a grand jury inquiry, Brazos County Attorney Jim Kuboviak told the Bryan-College Station Eagle March 14 that even though he believed hazing occurred, he would leave it to University officials to discipline the students. Kuboviak could not be reached for comment Sunday.
Operations of the cavalry unit have been suspended since October.
An internal Corps investigation, prompted when Unit Commander Ty Keeling reported hazing to Corps Commandant Lt. Gen. John Van Alstyne in October, concluded that juniors had been hazing sophomores by hitting them with axe handles and forcing them to perform exercises in a pit of urine and horse manure, Van Alstyne said.
A disciplinary panel in the Department of Student Life will hold hearings for each of the cadets, and then may hand down sanctions which could range from a warning to expulsion from the University. Once Student Life concludes the disciplinary hearings, Van Alstyne said he will personally interview each of the 60 cavalry members to determine if they should remain in the unit.
“In general, anyone who has violated the University’s hazing rules will not be allowed to continue,” he said, but added exceptions could be made under certain circumstances.
After interviewing the cadets and deciding which ones will remain in the unit, Van Alstyne said he will determine whether the cavalry should continue.
“The future is very uncertain at this point,” he said.
Although the unit’s operations are suspended, cadets still care for their horses and maintain the cavalry’s facilities at Fiddler’s Green. Also, 27 sophomores in the unit are conducting equestrian training.