Texas A&M Aggies guard Tyrece Radford (23) blocks Arkansas Razorbacks guard Tramon Mark (12) during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024, at Reed Arena. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
Free falling
Jace LaViolette (17) an Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle celebrating a home run during Texas A&Ms game against UIW on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW
Free falling
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW

Perry appoints student regent

One hour before his last final of the spring semester, senior biology major Nick Madere received a phone call coming from the same Austin area code that he calls home, but he
didn’t answer.
The voicemail said, “I’ve got some good news for you, give me a phone call.” It was the office of Gov. Rick Perry calling to inform Madere he had been selected as the 2013-2014 student regent
for the Texas A&M University System.
“Hearing that about an hour before my final was the best confidence booster I could have ever asked for,” Madere said. “I was breathless when it got announced.”
The decision became official on Friday when Madere’s term as student regent went into effect.
In 2005, the 79th Texas Legislature authorized the governor to appoint a nonvoting student regent for each university system. The program started in 2006 and student regents have used it to share student opinion with the board of regents.
Quinten Womack, a junior at Texas A&M-Kingsville, served as the student regent during the 2012-13 school year and said he found joy in representing the many students in A&M schools.
“It was a great experience and it’s an honor to be appointed by the governor to do anything,” Womack said. “To be able to be the voice of 125,000 students, it’s just a big deal and an honor to be associated with it.”
The application process of becoming a student regent is a system of checks and balances. Madere recalled sending an application to the Student Government Association then meeting with a board that included the student body president.
The group then sent a recommendation to Lt. Gen. Joe Weber, vice president for student affairs. His application then went to University President R. Bowen Loftin and on to System Chancellor John Sharp.
“From there I believe it went to the office of the governor,” Madere said. “They certainly tested our mettle and made sure they went through all the channels.”
Madere had to establish goals along the way of what he wanted to accomplish during his time as student regent. He said he wants to gain as much feedback from the many campuses in the University System to share students’ voices to the board.
“The board looks forward to working with Mr. Madere and receiving his valuable insight on important matters that only a student perspective can provide,” said chairman of the Board of Regents, Phil Adams, in a statement. “We are constantly mindful of academic and student affairs and supporting our universities toward achieving their goals.”
While holding a student regent position, Madere will also have to manage his time effectively as the first sergeant of Squadron 20 in the Corps of Cadets.
Madere said he is “no stranger” to managing his time, and Chancellor Sharp shared his confidence in Madere’s selection.
“I know Mr. Madere will continue the tradition of service and excellence set by his predecessors and I look forward to working with him and hearing his ideas,” Sharp said in a statement.
While Madere does not know if he’ll receive a fancy desk with business cards printed with his name, he said he is still ecstatic to represent the students of A&M.
“This role has given a student the authority and the influence to help make the big changes that students want to see,” he said. “I’m most excited to hear what these people have to say and make an impact in a big way. That was the biggest attractor to me, to make a major impact and at same time continue being a student.”