Perry not seeking re-election

Gov. Rick Perry announced Monday in San Antonio that he will not run for re-election in 2014. As the longest-serving governor in Texas history, Perry has decided that it is time to step down at the end of his term.
“The time has come to pass on the mantle of leadership,” Perry said at a press conference, according to the Associated Press.
When questioned about Perry’s decision to not run in the next election, students said it would be interesting and good to have a new face in the office, despite their varying political views. Paul Ramirez, a sophomore nuclear engineering major said a new governor could be a positive change.
“I think it will be good to get someone new into office, someone who won’t have such staunchly conservative views,” Ramirez said. “His run wasn’t bad and it could have been a lot worse.”
Gregory Lanier, a sophomore political science major, said he thought Perry had done a good job for 13 years, but still respected Perry’s decision.
“He’s had a good long run and has served Texas well as a good strong leader, but it may be time for someone new,” Lanier said.
Perry has not stated whether or not he will be turning his gaze to the presidential election of 2016. Lanier said he was curious as to whether or not Perry would begin a second presidential campaign.
“I’m curious to see what his motives are for deciding not to run again, whether he’s through with politics or if he’s planning on running for president,” he said. “His last run was not planned as carefully and he needs to prepare more for this one and show what he’s learned from his last attempt.”
Perry’s first presidential campaign began in August of 2011, and was an initial front-runner for the GOP nomination. He withdrew from the race in January of 2012, after greatly impacting his national image by failing to remember the third of three federal departments he planned to discontinue if elected.