Personalities shine in dunks with twists

While the unofficial tradition of the ring dunk has entrenched itself in Aggie lore, ring dunkers have more wiggle room in choosing the contents of their pitchers.
Some stray away from the tradition’s most common interpretation – dropping the ring in a pitcher of beer and downing it – by seeking alternate modes of dunking that better reflect their personalities for a variety of reasons.
Alexandra Hoskins, junior biomedical science and entomology major, said although she knows that some people adamantly stick to the common view of the ring dunk, she feels that the tradition is open to interpretation.
“I don’t think there’s like a real ring dunk procedure and I didn’t receive a handbook at my new student conference about ring dunking,” said Hoskins, who ‘dunked’ her ring in a platter of maroon whoopie pies. “I think it allows you to showcase yourself as part of the University while keeping the tradition but allowing it to be your own tradition.”
Jason Fenton, senior ecosystem science management major, said as a fifth year senior, he has had a fair amount of experience with the ring dunking tradition and wanted to go beyond the norm.
In adherence to the ceremonious nature of receiving an Aggie ring, Fenton said he wanted his dunk atmosphere to have a ritualistic, tribal theme.
Fenton said highlights of the dunk will include, among other things, a flaming arrow shot to ignite a shrine of fire and start the celebration, a roasted hog that he hunted down himself, and of course, the ring dunk.
Fenton will dunk with red Gatorade in a “‘coonskin coozie” – a self-tanned raccoon skin wrapped around a plastic container.
Fenton said part of the reason behind his “over-the-top” dunk was to be a type of outreach to those who have certain views of Christians as well as those who depend on alcohol as a means of having fun.
“I feel like a lot of people think that you can’t be a Christian and have fun and just be crazy – or that the only way to have fun and be crazy is with alcohol,” Fenton said. “I feel like I’m bucking both of those trends.”
Matt Hudgins, senior biology major, said he didn’t want to dunk in alcohol but was determined to use the pitcher.
After his friend dunked in cottage cheese, Hudgins said his goal was to make his dunk a story that would be told for years to come.
“Everyone knew about it and I was like, ‘My friend dunked in cottage cheese and it was disgusting,'” Hudgins said. “But I thought it was cool so I was like, ‘I want to do something epic and really memorable.'”
Hudgins said he originally attempted to blend up a box of Laynes chicken fingers and drink it. After seeing that it failed to liquefy, he added Dr. Pepper.
“It didn’t work – It was disgusting and not palatable,” Hudgins said.
With two days remaining before his dunk, Hudgins said he decided to cook ten packages of oatmeal to fill his pitcher.
“It was rough,” Hudgins said. “It was 1,600 calories and I did it in 2 minutes and 23 seconds.”
Amanda Dawson, senior education major, said a person’s choice in the way he or she dunks a ring doesn’t define anyone as an Aggie.
“I don’t think it makes you any less of an Aggie as long as you’re going through the motions and celebrating getting your ring and being committed to Texas A&M – I think that’s what really matters,” Dawson said.?