Pitching prevails in series sweep against Nebraska

Before Sunday’s game against Nebraska, Texas A&M senior Kyle Thebeau did not know if he would be starting on the mound against the Cornhuskers.
The reliever has been used out of the bullpen exclusively in 2009 and had not started since receiving the loss against Northern Colorado on Feb. 23, 2008. Sophomore Barrett Loux was expected to start the game, but did not because of a minor injury.
“When I think about it, this could be my last start as a pitcher ever,” Thebeau said. “I was a starter in high school and I started some my freshman and sophomore years [at A&M], so I really wanted to try to make the best of it because that could be the last time I start a game.”
The struggling Cornhuskers, who have lost 12 of their previous 13, failed to avoid the sweep Sunday as Thebeau led the No. 23 Aggies to a 10-1 win.
Thebeau pitched seven innings, giving up four hits and striking out four without allowing a walk. The four hits were all in the first four innings, after which the right-handed pitcher retired the final 12 batters he faced.
The Corpus Christi-native leads A&M all time in appearances with 94 and is seventh all time in strikeouts with 233.
“His performance, his toughness and perseverance is everything we’re about as a program,” said A&M Head Coach Rob Childress. “I couldn’t be more proud of that guy.”
Freshman southpaw Estevan Uriegas entered the game in the eighth inning to close for the Aggies. Uriegas, who had thrown 4.1 innings in 10 appearances before Sunday, was lights out, striking out four of the final six batters and not allowing a base runner.
A&M improved to 25-14 overall and 11-7 in Big 12 play with its second conference sweep of the season. The second place Aggies trail conference-leading Texas by one game, setting up the showdown between the two rivals in May to be a key conference series.
The win wrapped up a 4-0 week that began with a 7-3 win against a Top 5 Rice team on the road.
The Aggies did all their damage in the second and fourth innings, scoring five runs in each. All of A&M’s starters recorded at least one hit and six batters recorded at least one RBI.
Junior designated hitter Joe Patterson, who transferred to A&M from Seminole State College before the season, paced the Aggies with four hits and two RBIs. His single in the fourth
inning scored sophomore right fielder Brooks Raley from third base and senior first baseman Luke Anders from second base.
“I was just trying to keep hitting the ball hard like I have been and see what happens,” Patterson said.
The Aggies started the sweep Friday with an 8-2 win against the Cornhuskers. Sophomore pitcher Brooks Raley threw 7.1 innings, allowing one run, two hits and striking out four.
Saturday, A&M used an eight-run sixth inning to clinch the series win against Nebraska with a 10-1 victory. Freshman Ross Hales started the game, pitching 5.2 innings and allowing one run on five hits. Junior Alex Wilson, who has started on Saturdays this season, was used out of the bullpen and pitched 3.1 shutout innings, earning the save.