Political disasters leave Bush vulnerable at polls

In response to Nathan Rogers’ Feb. 24 column:
In the immediate days following 9/11, our nation came together in a spirit of unity to defeat terrorism. But shortly after, George W. Bush opened his mouth and continued his divisive, partisan rhetoric for his own political gain.
As his current plummeting public approval rating suggests, President Bush is out of touch with American priorities and values and is making himself more vulnerable to a Democratic victory in 2004.
President Bush has failed to give economic relief to the working families of America. He has failed to provide states with the necessary resources to adequately fund homeland security. He has failed to protect our environment from his friends who wish to pollute it.
He has failed to present us with a consistent foreign policy toward all nations who support terrorism, not just Iraq. He has also failed to support women’s and minority rights, allowing radical religious zealots to determine the future of equal opportunity.
In short, President Bush’s actions speak louder than his grammatically incorrect words. We Democrats have many qualified candidates who represent the true face of America, and who fight for ordinary Americans, not just for corporate executives and religious fundamentalists.
Jonathan Steed
President, Aggie Democrats
Class of 2004