Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Portrayal of after-party incident wrong

In response to Sarah Walch’s Feb. 24 article:
I am upset at the way The Battalion is dragging out the events of the after party from this past weekend. First of all, the main story was very opinionated. Sure there were 6,000 people present, but not each and everyone of those 6,000 were causing a disturbance.
As for this being ironic to the so-called “ghetto party,” there is a difference between a “ghetto party” and a party described as ghetto. There was not any intention on the part of many students at this school for the events to happen like they did, but that does not mean that we are playing into the stereotypes.
People chose to place stereotypes on things that they have seen through the media, but until you experience it, you will not know. And as for this being a diversity issue, you should thank your lucky stars that other African-Americans want to grace this campus for an event that brings everyone together because of the 7,000 plus attendees, most of them were not A&M students.
Disagreements don’t just exist within one group of people; just look at the diverseness of our country and the disagreement we have with a foreign country. Is this a racial disagreement?
There are people who believe that one group may lack social graces, but there is no evidence that anybody will not retaliate when provoked, regardless of race or gender. One incident does not make or break a standard for social behavior.
Tyechia P. Williams
Class of 2005
Reading the recent articles and mail call letters printed in The Battalion concerning Greek Olympiad, I am amazed at how the media is portraying this as a negative, life-threatening event.
If the writers of these articles were at the Greek Olympiad show, then I would not question their credibility. Though one student that was interviewed, Melloy Baker, other students that were in attendance were not questioned to get a more general consensus of how the party went.
I was at Greek Olympiad and at no point in the hours that I was there did I fear for my life and I didn’t see bullets flying in the air at all. All the 6,000 people who were in attendance weren’t under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol like the newspaper portrayed it.
Yes, maybe some fights broke out on the dance floor because someone stepped on another person’s foot, but that should be expected if more than 5,000 people are on the dance floor at the same time.
I ask that everyone who wasn’t at the Greek Olympiad hold their negative comments. The best thing to do is to ask the attendees, if at any point in their Greek Olympiad experience, feared for their lives.
Ebun Akindele
Class of 2004