Power of 3

Phi Iota Alpha is the oldest Latino fraternity in existence and has a mere three members at Texas A&M. It began as a secret society known as the Union Hispano American for Hispanic men who came to the United States for an education.
President Diego Gonzalez, Vice President and Recruitment Chair Edward Luna, and Treasurer and fundraising chairman Luis Resendiz are the only three brothers in College Station.
Phi Iota Alpha is, by no means, small globally. Four of the fraternity’s alumni have gone on to become presidents of Latin Americ countries.
Phi Iota Alpha has continued to spread the appreciation and preservation of the Latin American Culture, which is something that Luna said A&M needs more of.
“With the growing number of Latinos and diverse groups here on campus, A&M is making an effort to better connect to our heritage by allowing us to bring our culture to campus.”
Known as the fraternity’s “philanthropic arm,” the Union Foundation has helped the fraternity find many charitable events to participate in. Through this Foundation, Phi Iota Alpha has aided in providing scholarships and grants to Latino youths and helped to increased awareness of the educational achievement, civil rights and overall community health of Latino’s everywhere.
Across the nation, the fraternity has sponsored events such as the Kid Festivals, Ms. Phi-I-A scholarship pageant, a women’s soccer Phiota Cup, and many music and film festivals.
With A&M, the fraternity has put on an AIDS awareness event, participated in Dream Week for the Dream Act and recently helped in Big Event and Race for the Cure. In April, they will sponsor a movie night showcasing Puerto Rican culture and hosting a discussion forum on the changing role of Latino Women in Society.
“We weren’t a group of friends that wanted to bring a new fraternity to campus, but a group of students looking to find something that was right for them” Luna said.
The three brothers said they have been praised by other organizations and individuals who have seen their hard work and dedication in the previous year.
With roots actually dating back to the 1800s, joining Phi Iota Alpha is a life-long commitment involving intellectual development, cultural consciousness and social awareness.
“We are not looking to recruit the most members. We are looking for quality in our membership, someone who will – and wants to be – active within the fraternity because we are truly a family across the nation and across the world.” said Resendiz, who is working on his bachelor’s in accounting and master’s in information systems.
The three brothers emphasized the support and strong brotherhood not only expressed on campus but around the world.
“We have met brothers from New York, California, Michigan, Arkansas, and all over Texas in this first year and have been welcomed with open arms” said Gonzalez, a senior political science major.