Preparing for Election Day

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Early voting for midterm elections lasts until Nov. 2. Election Day is Nov. 6.

Early voting is coming to a close today, but Election Day is just around the corner on Tuesday, Nov. 6. Here’s everything you need to know to make your voices heard this year.
Learning about the candidates:

• A sample ballot for College Station can also be found at brazosvotes.org/voter/sample so you can see who your options are ahead of time.
  • The Texas A&M Municipal Affairs Team has provided a breakdown of candidates and their positions on important issues for both statewide and county-wide races as part of their “Gig the Vote” campaign. Their comparison can be found on gigthevote.com/candidates.
  • Gig the Vote is also hosting Party to the Polls event from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Nov. 6 in Rudder Plaza featuring free food and games as they encourage people to vote.

Not sure if you are registered?

• Check on the Texas Secretary of State’s website.
  • If you missed the deadline this year, you can register to be ready for the next election.

Where to go:

• If you are registered to vote in Brazos County, you can vote in Room L526 in the Memorial Student Center or at any of the 24 other voting centers in the county from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. A list of all the voting centers in Brazos County can be found at brazosvotes.org/voting-centers
  • If you applied for an absentee ballot, make sure to mail it in time to be received by the early voting clerk by 7 p.m. on Election Day for it to be counted.
  • For voters who are registered to vote in another county but cannot make it back home to vote, an option to vote only in statewide elections is available at the Brazos County Elections Administration Office.

What to bring:
You do not have to bring your voter registration certificate with you to the polls, but a photo ID is now required to vote in-person in Texas. Make sure to bring one of the following to the polls:

• Texas Driver License, Texas Election ID Certificate, Texas Personal Identification Card, Texas Election Identification Card, Texas Handgun License, U.S. Citizenship Certificate with photo, U.S. Military ID Card with photo or a U.S. Passport book or card. These can be expired for up to four years.
  • If you do not have a photo ID and cannot reasonably obtain one by Election Day, you can fill out a Reasonable Impediment Declaration at the polls and provide supporting documentation. More information about the photo ID requirement and a list of eligible supporting documentation can be found votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/need-id

Final reminders:

• Remember, no firearms or electioneering are allowed within 100 feet of a polling place.
  • “…a person may not wear a badge, insignia, emblem, or other similar communicative device relating to a candidate, measure, or political party appearing on the ballot, or to the conduct of the election, in the polling place,” according to section 61.010(a) of the Texas Election Code.
  • Additionally, you are not allowed to use cell phones or other wireless communication devices within 100 feet of voting stations. If you would like to reference a sample ballot, print it out beforehand.