President Banks resigns over McElroy fallout

Photo by Photo by Ishika Samant

President M. Katherine Banks speaks to faculty after delivering her State of the University at Annenberg Presidential Conference Center on Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2022. 

Texas A&M President M. Katherine Banks tendered her resignation to Chancellor John Sharp Thursday evening, effective immediately.
“The recent challenges regarding Dr. McElroy have made it clear to me that I must retire immediately,” Banks wrote. “The negative press is a distraction from the wonderful work being done here.”
The departure comes only two days after Banks’ assertion that the administration was unaware of the developments that caused McElroy’s botched hiring at a special Faculty Senate meeting left faculty bewildered.
“I am ashamed to wear my ring,” faculty senator of the School of Veterinary Medicine and former student Dana Gaddy said shortly after Banks left halfway through the discussion to attend another “very important” meeting.
The Senate passed a resolution 55-5 to establish an independent fact-finding committee to look into the McElroy controversy following widespread lack of satisfaction with Banks’ statements.
Gen. Mark A. Welsh III, dean of the Bush School of Government and Public Service, will serve as acting president.

Editor’s note: The situation is currently an active investigation, and no other information can be released at time of publication.