Pride film fest to hit issues central to LGBTQ public

Featuring titles such as “Seventh-Gay Adventists” and “Alaska is a Drag,” the films making an appearance in the Pride Film Festival will offer Bryan-College Station residents a viewing opportunity including both quirk and purpose.
Brad Dressler, director of the Pride Film Festival, said Pride Community Center in Bryan is hosting the festival for the second year.
The films will feature a variety of topics of particular interest to the LGBTQ community, said Pride Community Center president Judy LeUnes. Several of the films will focus specifically on the issue of bullying. LeUnes said she hopes the festival can shed light on real problems that members of the community are experiencing.
“The films help educate the more conservative side of the community on the views of other people out there and the topics they need to know,” LeUnes said.
In addition to viewing the films, LeUnes said festival attendees will also have the opportunity to eat, mingle and participate in a silent auction throughout the day. The festival is open for all audiences, she said, but a parent should accompany children if they are worried about any of the subjects involved in the films.
The festival will begin with an open reception with the filmmakers at 4:30 p.m. Friday at Four Points by Sheraton. Films will be shown later that evening and throughout Saturday at StageCenter Community Theatre in Bryan.