Items from Lt. Col. David Michael Booth, Class of 1964, on display at the Muster Reflections Display in the Memorial Student Center on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Muster Reflections Display held ahead of ceremony
Hilani Quinones, Assistant News Editor • April 18, 2024

Until April 21, visitors can view personal memorabilia from fallen Aggies who will be honored at the 2024 Muster Ceremony. The Aggie Muster...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Shanielle Veazie, Sports Writer • April 17, 2024

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday,...

The Highway 6 Band performs while listeners slow dance at The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
'Life is a Highway' (6 Band)
Amy Leigh Steward, Assistant Life & Arts Editor • April 17, 2024

It starts with a guitar riff. Justin Faldyn plays lead, pulling rock and blues out of the strings.  After a beat, comes the beat of the drums,...

Think your music taste somehow makes you different? Opinion writer Isabella Garcia says being unique is an illusion. (Photo by Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
Opinion: The myth of uniqueness
Isabella Garcia, Opinion Writer • April 16, 2024

You’re basic. It’s thought that the term “basic bitch” originated from a 2009 video of Lil Duval standing on a toilet in front of...

Professors debate missile defense

At a time when the United States is seeking to create a multinational coalition against terrorism, President George W. Bush’s efforts to build a ballistic missile shield threaten to alienate America’s potential allies, said Chester Dunning, an A&M history professor who participated in a panel discussion on missile defense Wednesday.
“This rush from the U.S. to do away with the ABM (Anti-Ballistic Missile) Treaty has caused fear in Russia and China [such that] Russia and China have signed a friendship treaty in opposition to the U.S.’s ballistic missile defense,” Dunning said. “The speed that the U.S. has used to rid themselves of the ABM Treaty has caused some worries in Europe. Italy now opposes the U.S. stance on BMD, and only Poland outright supports it.”
About 50 people attended the Memorial Student Center (MSC) Wiley Lecture Series discussion on Missile Defense Wednesday night. The panel of three Texas A&M professors gave their opinion and ideas on the topic, “Is There a Target in Sight?”
The ABM Treaty, signed in 1972 between the United States and the Soviet Union, prohibits the deployment of a missile defense system, but adhering to the treaty may no longer make sense in the post Cold War world, said Christopher Sprecher, a political science professor.
“The ABM system seems to make sense. If you cannot attack us, and we can knock your missiles down, why is this such a bad thing?” Sprecher said.
The ABM system was not built in 1972 because the Soviet Union was our adversary, Sprecher said, and the fear then was that an ABM system would only escalate the arms race.
“The Soviet Union no longer exists,” Specher said. “The threat is no longer from the Soviets, but from a rouge state like North Korea and Iraq.”
With the threat of suitcase sized nuclear bombs and lower level nuclear, biological and chemical threats, Dr. Kyle Alfriend, head of the aerospace engineering department at A&M, said he believes that it is not if we should build it, but when.
Alfriend said boost phase intercept system would be preferable.
“You want to intercept the missile right after it is launched,” Alfriend said. “But this means that the system needs to be not just around the U.S., but all around the world where these missiles may be launched”.
Building missile defenses on foreign soil may be difficult politically, but it is imperative that America extend its missile shield to other nations, Alfriend said.