Prospective dean visits campus

Allison Bradshaw — THE BATTALION

Joyce Alexander, a candidate for the position of dean of the College of Education and Human Development, visited campus Monday.

One of three candidates for the position of the dean of the College of Education and Human Development at Texas A&M, Joyce Alexander, set foot on campus Monday as part of a two-day visit.
Joyce Alexander is a professor of learning and developmental sciences and executive associate dean in the School of Education at Indiana University.
José Luis Bermúdez, associate provost for strategic planning and former dean of the College of Liberal Arts, said it is a mark of distinction for the College of Education and Human Development to have attracted such strong candidates.
“All three of our candidates are exceptionally well qualified, with strong academic records and significant leadership and administrative experience,” Bermúdez said.
Alexander’s research focuses on the precursors and longitudinal consequences of early interest in science-related fields. Her work has been supported by the National Science Foundation and the Noyce Foundation and has formed partnerships with the Indianapolis Zoo, Children’s Museum of Indianapolis and Head Start.
Alexander spoke Monday about the three major things she believes should be looked at in a university such as Texas A&M — research, quality undergraduate teaching and quality graduate teaching.
Alexander said anyone who has been around teacher education has heard the saying, ‘Those who can’t, teach,” or something along the lines of, “If you can’t go be a biochemist, then maybe you can be a teacher”.
“We’ve got to turn that conversation around and we’ve got to talk about that our majors should never be a fallback,” Alexander said. “And that’s true for any major in the College of Education and Human Development.”
Alexander said education and human development is life-altering work and everyone she talks to says it is worthwhile.
“So I think a part of our role in higher education is to be the advocate for these majors, for these fields, for our alumni,” Alexander said. “We have a platform we should use it to send those kinds of messages.”
Janna Nakayama, education junior, said it is important that candidates such as Alexander come to Texas A&M so that they can experience the university and hear from students.
“I think the extensive and careful process that A&M is going through to choose the dean is something that they should do when choosing any authority position; thus, the fact that A&M is undergoing such a process is a good reminder of why this school has withstood years of tradition, virtue and community,” Nakayama said.
The other two candidates, John Allegrante and Wojtek Chodzko-Zajko, will visit campus on Dec. 1 and Dec. 3, respectively.