Prospective students flock to event

Aggieland Saturday, a campus-wide open house to welcome prospective students and families to the University, will be held
this weekend.
Nick Vanikiotis, president of Aggie Experience Council, said Aggieland Saturday is an opportunity for prospective students to meet current students, learn about tradition and get tours and information about organizations, tuition
and admissions.
“It’s a chance for them to see what we’re all about,” Vanikiotis said. “It’s also an opportunity for us to recruit and welcome people to
the University.”
Michael Green, communications specialist in the Office of Admissions, said Aggieland Saturday is the University’s biggest program and every college participates in its preparation.
“It certainly is a ton of preparation,” Green said. “And it’s cool to see how all of the University comes together just to put this event on. It brings about a sense of unity.”
Green said February is ideal for the event because it is the perfect time for high school seniors who are admitted or juniors who are looking to apply to see the University.
“It lines up perfectly, merging the two audiences together,” Green said.
Green said Aggieland Saturday is expected to have a larger number of attendees this year due to the increase in incoming freshmen. Admissions is heavily utilizing social media this year to promote Aggieland Saturday, he said, using “#AgSat” and “#TAMU18” on Twitter.
“The newest class is really involved in social media – Twitter, specifically,” Green said. “So we figured the best way to get our word out is to infiltrate that sphere.”
Last year was the first time the Corps of Cadets heavily participated in Saturday’s events, said Eric Gil, commander of the Corps and senior industrial distribution major. This year, the Corps will be volunteering once again to assist more than 20,000 prospective students
“The Corps will be participating in events all over campus during Aggieland Saturday,” Gil said. “Cadets will be giving tours and helping all over campus and with the various colleges. Corps Special Units and ROTC units will be doing demonstrations, while the Ross Volunteers and Fish Drill Team will be performing multiple times throughout the day. The Parsons Mounted Cavalry will be on Centennial Park, and the Spirit of ’02 will fire occasionally throughout the day. The Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band will have a few performances throughout the day
as well.”
Zach Reveal, sophomore psychology major, said he enjoyed volunteering at Aggieland Saturday
last year.
“I liked seeing all the faces of future Aggies and their eagerness to learn about tradition,” Reveal said. “We had a tent set up at Zachary and we thought there would be no one because we were on the outskirts of the University, but surprisingly so many people came through.”
Vanikiotis said he expects Aggieland Saturday 2014 to be exciting, packed and worth the preparation.
“We’re definitely ready to see all the new Aggies and show them what our great University is all about,” Vanikiotis said. “It really defines the Aggie network.”