Provost: President search duration a ‘good sign’

Faculty Senate convened Monday to touch base on a variety of topics ranging from the search for the next University president to the switch from the Zimbra email server to google’s gmail.
Provost Karan Watson said it is a good sign that the sworn-to-secrecy search committee is taking a long time to find the ideal candidate.
“They have figured out a lot of things about what it takes to find a leader for a campus like this and that it’s better to get it right,” Watson said.
Watson said interim University President Mark Hussey has made it clear he is not vying for the position of president.
The Faculty Senate legislative affairs and outreach committee reported that a meeting with Texas Rep. John Raney brought to light a disconnect on the issue of gun control. John Coopersmith, associate history professor, said Raney supported concealed carry on campus, but said most faculty senate members are “vehemently opposed.” Coopersmith said faculty members should make their voices heard because the matter concerns their safety.
Regarding the University’s transition to the use of Gmail, Watson said professors will be able to choose to stay with Microsoft Exchange or switch to Google Apps for Education.
Faculty senators voted for a proposal to allow professional schools to continue using existing plus-minus grading systems, including the recently acquired law school.