Provost search narrowed to two finalists

The search for executive vice president and provost is down to two finalists: College of Education Dean Jane Conoley and Interim Provost David Prior.
Additional outside candidates may still be considered for the position of second in command of Texas A&M, said search committee chairman Dr. Herbert Richardson.
Richardson said the committee hasn’t decided whether additional candidates are needed after the two outside finalists, C. Bradley Moore of Ohio State and Cutberto Garza of Cornell, dropped out.
Richardson said he was surprised at their decision to withdraw.
“It is too bad; they were both outstanding candidates,” Richardson said.
Moore withdrew because he accepted a job at Northwestern University similar to his current job of vice president for research at Ohio State, according to an Ohio State press release.
Garza is traveling until May and could not be reached for comment.
Richardson said many people applied for the job, but all four finalists were candidates suggested by committee members at the beginning of the search because of their academic reputations.
Conoley said the job hunt has not caused any friction between herself and Prior.
“I discussed applying for the job beforehand with (Prior). There is no pressure,” Conoley said.
Prior was unavailable for comment because he is traveling until March 31.
The search committee, and then A&M President Robert M. Gates, will interview Conoley and Prior, Richardson said. Gates will discuss the matter with the committee before making a final decision.
An open reception was held for the campus community to meet Conoley Tuesday, and a similar reception will likely be held next week for Prior, Richardson said.
Earlier this year Gates expanded the authority of the position by requiring all vice presidents to report directly to the provost, rather than to Gates.