Q&A: Up and Coming

Jennifer Reiley, city editor, sits down with singer-songwriter Tori McClure.
THE BATTALION: Tell me about yourself.
McCLURE: I sing and play guitar. That’s kind of my thing. I put together a band about two months ago, so it’s me and these four guys that I’ve been friends with for a while. It’s just called Tori McClure. They’re kind of my backing band.
THE BATTALION: What made you want to start singing and playing guitar?
McCLURE: I wasn’t good in anything else. I went through all the sports that kids usually go through. I was on a soccer team, softball, basketball and my mom’s like, “Wow, you are not coordinated.” And I was like, “Okay great.” My brother had this really old guitar that he never played anymore and my mom was like, “Do you want to learn how to play guitar?” I was about 11 years old and I said, “Sure, why not.” I did and I have been playing guitar for a long time, but I didn’t start writing until my junior year of high school.
THE BATTALION: Do you perform mostly original songs or covers?
McCLURE: I mostly perform original stuff, but for the rodeo I’m doing a lot of country covers because everyone likes to hear songs that they know. This is the first time [the rodeo] even has this sort of thing. It’s called Houston Up and Comers, and the reason they invited me is because there’s also this other competition called Rodeo Rock Star, which I won last year. Since I won, that kind of got my name out there and kept me on the radar, and they asked me to come and play this year.
THE BATTALION: How has it been to balance your music with your college career?
McCLURE: Exhausting. I love being busy. It’s really fun getting to have the opportunity to play the rodeo and then still be a full time college student … I’ve been going home twice a week for band practice. It’s so tiring. I live about an hour and a half away, so it’s not too far, but it’s far enough. It’s really busy and it’s actually really hard to balance everything. My music is really important, but my grades are really important. And then sleep is very important – and so is eating. It’s very stressful, but it’s going to be really rewarding in the end. I would rather be exhausted and busy than not have the opportunity to do all this.