Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Quarterback Johnny Manziel faces possible NCAA investigation

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel is facing an investigation by the NCAA for allegedly signing autographs for paid compensation, according to a Sunday report by ESPN.
Sources have told ESPN they saw Manziel signing memorabilia items on his trip to the BCS National Championship game in January but did not see an exchange of money from autograph broker Drew Tieman.
The NCAA Bylaws state that accepting money for promoting or advertising the commercial sale of a product or service could result in a player being ruled ineligible.
Texas A&M’s senior associate athletics director for external affairs, Jason Cook, said in a statement, “it is Texas A&M’s longstanding practice not to respond to such questions concerning specific student-athletes.”
The news broke the day before the Aggie football team is set to begin fall practices. Manziel was originally scheduled to speak at a press conference Monday before practices begin but has since been removed from the list of available players, according to an email from the A&M Sports Information Department.
The original release said a list of seven players, including Manziel, would be available, “if summer class schedules permit.”
Coaches Kevin Sumlin, Clarence McKinney and Mark Snyder will be available Monday along with Mike Evans, Toney Hurd, Jr. and Ben Malena.