Rapper Nelly hopes to be bone marrow match for sister

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Grammy-winning rapper Nelly was on hand as hundreds of residents turned out to register as potential bone marrow donors. He hopes one might be a match for his ailing sister.
Jacqueline “Jackie” Donahue, 30, was diagnosed with leukemia in 2001. The cancer was in remission for nearly two years before she suffered a relapse in January, she said. It was then she learned she would need a bone marrow transplant.
Bone marrow drives were held over the weekend at America’s Center in St. Louis and at the Hollywood Park Casino in Los Angeles.
Among those who registered Saturday were Ashley Donahue, Donahue’s 20-year-old sister, and Nelly, whose real name is Cornell Haynes Jr. The event Saturday produced 1,025 new donors.
In March, Nelly and his ailing sister formed a campaign dubbed “Jes Us 4 Jackie” to find donors for Jackie Donahue and others, and to raise awareness about bone marrow donations. Nelly’s nonprofit organization, 4 Sho 4 Kids, sponsored the Saturday event.
Even if a match is found for Donahue, efforts to register donors will continue, Nelly said.
“It could be someone else’s brother or sister,” he said.