The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Rec Prepares for fall

Students are encouraged to use the PEAP building for additional workout space. Photo by Meredith Collier

The Texas A&M Student Recreation Center continues to undergo expansion and renovation to accommodate its popularity with A&M’s growing student body, said Rick Hall, senior associate director of Rec Sports Staff.
The fall semester, which is quickly approaching, is expected to bring a few changes.
Activity centers such as the racquetball courts, the climbing wall and the track, will only be closed temporarily in sections so that the lighting can be replaced, Hall said.
The indoor natatorium also will be open and ready for use this fall.
“By the time school starts, that pool should be crystal clear and open and look like a brand new pool,” Hall said.
The outdoor activity area, known as the Backyard, where the outdoor pool and sand volleyball courts are located, will remain open, but are expected to be under construction.
“The new lap pool is going to be built out there and it’s going to be on what is currently the outdoor basketball court that’s closest to the building,” Hall said. “Right now, our only body of water for our members is our outdoor pool. Probably at the 1st of October though, that pool will go down.”
Hall said although The Rec is in the midst of construction, it will remain open for students and regular patrons.
“It’s going to be challenging for our users and our staff, but as popular as we are, it still allows us to have courts and weight room and a jogging track and a pool and all this activity room space and racquetball courts and climbing wall,” Hall said.
Hall said the issue of space has been an ongoing topic of discussion for The Rec since the opening.
“Many people would say ‘Gosh I don’t even want to go there because it’s so crowded,’” Hall said. “So even way back, as early as the late 90s, we had the overcrowding.”
With the weight and fitness equipment currently taking up two basketball courts, Hall said he hopes that students will utilize additional courts in the Physical Education Activity Program building.
“We always kept it open Monday through Thursday, 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. but not on weekends because there wasn’t as much of a demand,” Hall said. “But due to the circumstances here, we will supervise that facility on weekends as well.”
Even with the displacement of certain facilities at The Rec, Ryan Jones, senior biology major, said the construction hasn’t really bothered him, aside from minor changes.
“It’s been a pain that the indoor pool isn’t open but I have liked the way the weights have been a lot more spread out on the court,” Jones said.
Despite the inconveniences, David Smirnis, senior electrical engineering major, said he is grateful for the renovations.
“So far the construction hasn’t affected my workouts,” Smirnis said. “Even though I’m aware of the construction, it really is only cosmetic at the time.”
Hall said contractors expect full renovations to be finished as early as Fall 2015.

• Students are encouraged to use the PEAP building for additional workout space. Photo by Meredith Collier