Rec preps for spring break crowd

Whether it’s to uphold New Year resolutions or get into better shape for the beginning of swimsuit season, the human physique is on the forefront of students’ minds during the spring semester.
James Nash, associate director of facilities at the Student Recreation Center, said there was an increase of 69,160 check-ins between the fall of 2012 and the spring of 2014.
Sophomore economics major Samuel Tillotson said he believes the influx in attendance comes from people trying to achieve a “spring break body.”
“The atmosphere is different,” Tillotson said. “There seems to be more tension from people trying to get in sets during the spring, while the fall is much more relaxed and people seem more nonchalant.”
Tillotson said regulars just have to work through the crowds.
“The large amount of people can become annoying, but you just have to work through it,” Tillotson said.
The influx of new students throughout the spring semester prompts the Rec staff to make several changes every year.
Kaitlyn Zarosky, a head weight room attendant and senior kinesiology major, said the weight room prepares for more Rec participants by scheduling more employees than usual for the busier parts of spring.
“They usually put more people on each shift,” Zarosky said. “In the weight room they put four attendants instead of two or three. We also have recap meetings and go over policies at the beginning of the semester.”
The overcrowding can cause a few issues. Safety is a concern, as well as making sure the facilities remain accessible to every visitor. Enforcing the policies set by the Rec tries to solve both issues.
“It is on us to get people on the lifts they want,” Zarosky said. “The safety issue is with things like the free-weights. They get packed and we put an attendant to watch over them. This is why we enforce policies like not dropping the dumbbells. We do not want anyone to get injured.”
Ben Moeller, a head weight room attendant and sophomore industrial distribution major, said he has seen changes around the gym from fall to spring. Moeller said part of this change included an increased number of members asking questions as well as some members looking uncomfortable in their new surroundings.
“The beginning of each semester is always packed, but the numbers definitely seem up this semester compared to the fall,” Moeller said. “The amount of people within the cardio area is definitely greater than last semester.”
The increase in Rec participants can be deterring for regulars.
“I can see people who do not feel welcome at times,” Moeller said. “I also see people who seem deflated by the crowd. However, no real arguments ever break out and everyone tries to be as accommodating as possible.”
For those lost-looking students who are trying to become weight-room savvy, Tillotson said newcomers should have a plan going in.
“Try going with a buddy or guide to help make you more comfortable,” Tillotson said. “Definitely do not try to make a perfect body in a short period of time. It takes time and patience to reach goals.”
Junior industrial distribution major Trenton Faykus said he started going to the gym this semester after taking a year hiatus from the Rec. He said his motivation stemmed from his upcoming spring break plans.
“I’m trying to make a lifelong change,” Faykus said. “It doesn’t only help me physically but also mentally and emotionally. It is a change for the better in many aspects.”