Recount reveals ‘5 for Yell’ would have swept Yell Leader positions

FILE
Members of 5 for Yell knelt to pray before Election Commissioner Emma Douglas announced original election results. 
FILE Members of “5 for Yell” knelt to pray before Election Commissioner Emma Douglas announced original election results. 

The original Feb. 19-20 election results for Senior Yell Leader, certified by the SGA Judicial Court, state that after a recount winners of the 2015 election would have been Zachary Lawrence, Ben Ritchie and Kyle Cook.
This result, though, is rendered moot by the Yell Leaders’ decision to hold a separate revote, in which Steven Lanz passed Cook to win the election. Cook finished fourth in the revote.
In the end, seniors Lanz, Lawrence and Ritchie and juniors Chris Wilder and Will Alders will serve as 2015-2016 Yell Leaders.
Election Commissioner Emma Douglas, who resigned Wednesday, submitted the recount results of J-Court Case 67-02, which alters the original unofficial election results to list the first, second and third place candidates for Senior Yell Leader as Lawrence, Ritchie and Cook, respectively. According to a letter from Chief Justice Brenton Cooper to The Battalion, this final version of the 2015 election results is correct and “reflect compliance with the election regulations.”
Kyle Cook, “5 for Yell” candidate, said because he agreed to the revote, he sees no reason to be upset that he would have won after the recount.
“I knew the votes from the original election would be void,” Cook said. “So I’m not going to whine or complain about it, because I agreed to it in the first place.”
While he wishes the student elections hadn’t been surrounded with drama, Cook said he is pleased with the final decision.
“I have had a pretty rough go-round in this whole thing, but these five guys are all awesome,” Cook said. “And the students voted, so it’s what the students want, and because of that I’m happy with it.”