Reducing fines and feeding the community

Photo by Courtesy

Students can take 10 non-perishable canned or dry goods for a $30 decrease in fees owed to Transportation Services Department.

The second annual Donations for Citations program continues through April 20, offering students the opportunity to simultaneously reduce their parking tickets and give back to the community.
Through a partnership with the Transportation Services Department and Brazos Valley Food Bank students can donate food or personal care items in exchange for a reduction in citations. Students can take 10 non-perishable canned and dry goods or five diapers or personal care items to the Transportation Services Department for a $30 reduction.
As long as the citation has not yet been registered on to the student’s funds, they can drop off donations at Koldus 108 during the department’s office hours, according to Therese Kucera, manager of customer services for the Transportation Services Department. Kucera said students are allowed to get involved even if they do not have any citations.
“Some people bring in more, some people say, ‘I hear you’re having a food drive. Can I donate some things?’” Kucera said. “Either way, it’s a great partnership we have this year with the Brazos Valley Food Bank.”
Kucera said the program is based on similar campaigns at universities across the United States. Last year the department reduced 133 citations or a total dollar value of $3,135 and donated over 1,100 pounds of food. Even though there are not hard set objectives for this year’s campaign, Kucera said they are on track to surpass the number of citations reduced last year.
“I think we didn’t know what to expect last year since it was our first year,” Kucera said. “We are going to do the best we can and we don’t have a specific goal in mind but we want to beat what we had last year.”
The program has a visible influence on the Brazos Valley Food Bank, according to Theresa Mangapora, executive director of the Brazos Valley Food Bank.
“For every dollar donated, we can secure five meals,” Mangapora said. “So, the money alone will help us provide 500 meals to a child, individual or senior right here in this community that needs it.”
Mangapora said the program is a unique way for students to get involved in the community.
“Donations for Citations is a creative way for both Transportation Services and the Brazos Valley Food Bank to meet important needs,” Mangapora said. “Aggies can get forgiveness for outstanding citations and the Food Bank gets needed food for the hungry. It is a win-win situation. We are thankful to chosen as the beneficiary of these donations.”