Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Referendum polls student opinion on $20 advising fee

A referendum held by the Student Government Association to garner student opinion on a proposed advising fee increase will close Tuesday at 5 p.m.
The referendum, which opened on Monday, comes after A&M administration proposed a $20 per semester “Undergraduate Student Advising Fee” to be applied to undergraduate students who are enrolled at A&M starting in the fall of 2016 or who have exceeded their allotted degree plan time.
The current ratio of students to academic advisors at A&M is 368 to one. The university’s goal with the fee increase is to lower the number to 300 students per academic advisor. The fee increase intends to help pay for the hiring and training of academic advisors at A&M and will be voted on for approval or disapproval by the Board of Regents during its meetings Nov. 12-13.
Information gathered from the referendum will be presented to the Board of Regents later this week by the SGA. Students can vote at vote.tamu.edu.