Regents seek $137 million complex approval

The Texas A&M Board of Regents are scheduled Thursday to consider a plan that includes a $137 million Engineering Education Complex that will include a renovation and addition to the current Zachary Engineering Building, according to a press release sent by the University on Wednesday.
The proposed 600,000 square foot complex is considered an important piece to the Dwight Look College of Engineering’s 25 by 25 Initiative that emphasizes transforming engineering education.
“This building will be a centerpiece of our 25 by 25 Initiative and embodies a progressive approach toward maximizing our facilities and resources to deliver the highest quality education possible,” said University System Chancellor John Sharp in a statement.
The center is expected to feature technology-driven facilities as a departure from the outdated Zachary Building. The building will be funded by both current and former students, including members of the Student Engineers’ Council who committed $1 million to the complex in April.
“As the cornerstone of the college’s initiative to become a leader in engineering education, the Engineering Education Complex will be an integral part of future engineering students’ experience in the college,” said former SEC president Ryan Haughey. “The Student Engineers’ Council exists to serve the students of the college, and supporting this building is an excellent means for us to enhance the education of undergraduate engineering students.”
The council’s commitment will span over 10 years, using funds raised from its semi-annual career fairs. The fall fair is one of the largest student-run career fairs in the U.S.
“In order to meet the nation’s growing need for top engineers, the Engineering Education Complex at Texas A&M will innovate the way engineers are taught,” said Alex Herring, graduate student and former SEC vice president. “Student Engineers’ Council supports the Dwight Look College of Engineering’s students and our commitment to this endeavor will enhance engineering education for years to come.”
The building is expected to feature updated and flexible classrooms, design and fabrication shared-use laboratories, collaborative space and tutoring space. The complex will serve as “the hub of undergraduate engineering education at Texas A&M University” according to the press release.
The College of Engineering announced in January that an initiative was started to increase enrollment to 25,000 engineering students by 2025, more than doubling the enrollment of the program. The college is already home to the third-largest engineering program in the nation.
The initiative focuses on improved education and cost efficiency through technology integration, something this building hopes to provide.
“Through the blending of remote learning and innovative facility use, this building dramatically increases our economical use of space on campus, which ultimately supports our efforts to keep tuition affordable for our students and their parents,” said Phil Adams, chair of the Texas A&M Board of Regents in a statement.
In the press release, University President R. Bowen Loftin said funding for the building will come from the $1 million given by current students, $30 million from former students as well as the state government, and from within the engineering industry.
Construction for the Engineering Education Complex is expected to begin in 2014 with 2016 as an approximate opening date.
“First, we are not simply doubling our footprint; we will maximize space through flexible design, remote learning and 24/7 accessibility,” said M. Katherine Banks, vice chancellor and dean of engineering in a statement. “Second, this will be the most connected and technology-adaptable facility of its kind. Lastly, and most importantly, this state-of-the-art complex will provide our students with the educational home needed to reach their potential as engineers and computer scientists.”