Relentless’ offers encouragement to Aggie Christians in

Picture a bunch of college guys laughing, having milk chugging contests, enjoying the company of brothers in Christ and worshiping Jesus ferociously in a gym that echoes and amplifies every sound. For the hundreds of men gathered in the Family Life Center of Central Baptist Church-College Station on Friday night, Relentless Conference presented the opportunity to relax, let down person walls and experience spiritual renewal.
“The conference was a flood of wisdom and great worship,” said Jordan Stubbs, senior kinesiology major.
The purpose of the Relentless Conference — now in its second year — is to teach college-aged men biblical truths so that they can become who God is calling them to be. The conference used contemporary worship, speakers and smaller breakout sessions to achieve this goal.
Joe White, former Aggie assistant football coach, opened the conference. White rode his Harley into the building and down to the stage. He spoke about the void in the men’s hearts where pain, anger and hurt are hidden. White challenged every man in the room to give his heart to God and receive a new one.
“Hearing [Joe] talk about the power of having a ‘new heart’ and the impact of something like that on your life got me excited to start [my] new job,” said Neal Spencer, Class of 2011.
Russell Moore, dean of the School of Theology at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth and senior pastor of Highview Baptist Church, followed White. Moore spoke on temptation and a believer’s identity in Christ. Moore also addressed how satanic powers try to trap Christians, especially men, to identify with struggles and sins, rather than accepting their true identity as sons of God.
Stubbs said Moore gave him a new perspective.
Interspersed between worship and speakers, in-depth “breakout sessions” analyzed topics including evangelism, goal setting, Christian ministry and spiritual intimacy.
“I went to the breakout session on goal setting and got some good advice,” said Anthony Clay, junior anthropology major. “Now because I have tangible goals, I’m motivated to live for God all the time, not just when I’m going to church or feel like people are watching.”
Ben Stuart, executive director of Breakaway Ministries, closed the night of teaching with a talk on Christian brotherhood and the need to be focused and united in the fellowship of the gospel.
“Relentless helped me realize how much I really need my brothers in Christ,” said C.J. Cottey, junior allied health major. “We need each other to survive in this world.”
Christian artist and A&M former student Jimmy Needham kicked off his Grace Amazing tour with Christian rapper Trip Lee at the conference.
“Thanks to Jesus’ sacrifice we shouldn’t worry about the history of the sin in our lives. It’s amazing how easily you can forget about that,” Spencer said.